By JOVe! Grumman's toothy Mohawk JOV-1A

chukw

Hey Chuck,

Wishing you all the best my friend.  Quote:  my -second laser-beam eradication of the secondary cataract in my right eye. Wish me luck!

Lost my dad of 85 years a week ago.  Puts a lot of things into focus.  All the best my friend. Only best wishes to your outcome.  Good thoughts always...

You will be back better than before.   

Troy. 

Much appreciated, gents! Troy, I'm very sorry for your loss- I know how it is to lose one's parents.

A model friend sent me some pics of 5 Mohawks in various states at American Wings up in Blaine Minn. This one is just stunning. A Facebook Mohawk group IDs it as AO-1AF 60-3734. One of the earliest airframes that with the rear blister window but no "eyebrow" windows, used as a trainer. Look at the broken perspex over all those open panels- museum "cutaway"? Training frame? I'm boggled, but glad to see I guessed right on at least some of that stuff in the compartment behind the cockpi. Look, you can see Frankenstein's kidney!

file.php?id=5009725

• 7 months later...

I asked about the soldering over in Max's thread. If you don't want to pollute his thread and answer here, that's fine.

What kind of solder and flux are you using?

I'm very familiar with soldering electronics. Even did a 40 hour 'soldering school' when I was working as an electronics technician, a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. :D

Dave

Happy to see your eyes all fixed and ready to get back to work on this one.

Instead of trying to make a new piece for the fuselage, why not just trim the corner from the canopy glass using a saw, and then glue that to the fuselage to match the angle? Could work, at least it does in my brain.

Matt 

16 hours ago, denders said:

I asked about the soldering over in Max's thread. If you don't want to pollute his thread and answer here, that's fine.

What kind of solder and flux are you using?

I'm very familiar with soldering electronics. Even did a 40 hour 'soldering school' when I was working as an electronics technician, a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. :D

Dave

Thanks, Dave! You're a considerate fellow indeed- cheers!   I have an old can (shoe polish size) of Kester Acid Paste Flux SP-30. Great stuff, and thick enough to hold the tiny bits of solder in place. Speaking the latter, A spool of KesterAlloy SN63PB37 >015 Diameter, 66 Core (along with a string of partially obscured) letters and numbers. Hope that helps.

Edited by chukw

On 1/20/2023 at 7:47 PM, scvrobeson said:

Happy to see your eyes all fixed and ready to get back to work on this one.

Instead of trying to make a new piece for the fuselage, why not just trim the corner from the canopy glass using a saw, and then glue that to the fuselage to match the angle? Could work, at least it does in my brain.

Matt 

Thanks, Matt- I just might do that- I'll have to see how things actually fit, seeing this is a very delicate modification. If I can sneak a bit of micro-tubing behind it it would be a plus- cheers!

Edited by chukw

3 minutes ago, chukw said:

I have an old can (shoe polish size) of Kester Acid Paste Flux SP-30. Great stuff, and thick enough to hold the tiny bits of solder in place. Speaking the latter, A spool of KesterAlloy SN63PB37 >015 Diameter, 66 Core (along with a string of partially obscured) letters and numbers. Hope that helps.

I remember that type of can with flux from when I was a kid. My father was into Ham Radio and we had all sorts of antennas at the house. (I used to have a license too.) I'll have to check it out. And thinking about it, I have flux and solder for soldering copper pipe somewhere in the garage. The house we moved from in PA had copper pipes, municipality requirement, the last I knew, not here in TN though. And I've soldered pipes and fittings when replacing electric hot water heaters and bathroom remodeling. Living there for 30+ years, the hot water heater was replaced at least 3 times.