By JOVe! Grumman's toothy Mohawk JOV-1A

chukw

• chukw changed the title to By JOVe! Grumman's toothy Mohawk JOV-1A

Thanks, Tom! It is a fascinating little thing, isn't it. Photos of the originals look to be so nicely built, like a premium car.

Appreciate that, Brian- cheers! Oh, I've got a lot to go and am having a blast with it.

That's very kind, Shawn- thanks!

Mark, if I ever start a 1/32 build I may crawl into it and never make it out. ;) I am indebted for that manual- a million thanks! Not to be greedy, but do you have any info on the gunsight and gun camera mounted on the IP cowling?

Stay tuned, Noe- same chuk time, same chuk channel!

I laugh every time I see your handle, Rad- many thanks!

'. . . do you have any info on the gunsight and gun camera mounted on the IP cowling?'

Try these guys, they say they have more than they show online:

https://www.ov-1mohawkassociation.org/home/manuals

Mk-20-Mod4.jpg  Mark 20 Mod 0 Illuminated Sight.

Mark 20 Mod 2 (experimental) Illuminated Sight.  Mark 20 Mod 3 (experimental) Illuminated Sight.

Mod 4

Mk. 20 Mod. 4 Gunsight  

Mk. 20 Mod. 4 Gunsight

Mk. 20 Mod. 4 Gunsight

Mk. 20 Mod. 4 Gunsight

Extract from the A-1E (AD-5) flight manual.

Mounted to A-1E (AD-5)

Mk 20 Mod 4 Gunsight fitted to an AD-5 Skyraider.

Mounted to an AD-5 Skyraider.

I don't know what the gun camera looks like or its' nomenclature to know enough to research it.

Anyway, lots of OV cockpit stuff here.  Not much so JOV.  Maybe there will be a gun camera mounting hint.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ov-1+mohawk+cockpit&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjXyO6h_7jtAhXHqnIEHZjsAGsQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=ov-1+mohawk+cockpit&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzICCAAyBggAEAcQHlDweVjweWD8fGgAcAB4AIABOogBOpIBATGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=5J3MX9fGDcfVytMPmNmD2AY&bih=852&biw=1730&hl=en

Flight Manuals may have a mounting location:

https://www.eflightmanuals.com/ITEM_EFM/SITEM_EFM.asp?cID=3717

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks, LSP Mike and Mustang1989!

Wow, Mark- you really came through!  I've downloaded a lot of those cockpit pics already, and found one of a derelict with very interesting IP coamings. On the pilot's side it has a circular opening for the sight, and it protrudes outward over the IP. On the co-pilot's side is a rectangular opening. I also have a pic of a bad copy of an nth generation xerox and you can just dope out a flat box with rounded ends fore and aft- like certain cameras. What the lens at the front looks like I do not know, but it seems to have filmed through the windshield. I'll Google Grumann gun camers of the 50s- 60 s and try my luck. Boy, that manual site is so unrealistic- 44 bucks for a PDF download of one manual? LOL! Anyway, thanks agin and cheers!

• 2 months later...

Fantastic work, Chuck! And ironically, I have all those new tools you mention, but have yet to use any of them. I did try the magnifier set, but couldn't get them to work with my glasses. Admittedly, I didn't try the headband option, which I probably should do, but the main issue was that they didn't work with my multi-focals. I ended up shelling out $500 on a new pair of glasses tweaked to suit close-up work, but haven't tried them in combination with the new magnifiers yet. In fact, I've barely tried them at all! I guess I have some work to do...

Kev