Meng and WnW

Robthepom

7 hours ago, Bob MDC said:

Try turning it round and looking at it from the WNW injection moulding company (company X).

So you have been working for WNW for many years then the work stops !  one. that buggers up your cash flow, you now have a huge amount of moulds to store (correctly) plus you have a lot of tooling costs on 3 new projects two of them large projects with multiple test shots, question how do we get payed , stop gap easy fix Fokker Dr1 easy quick and get some cash flow, time to sort out cost of mould storage and the large projects which have not come to market .

The problem with this theory is that the moulds for the HP 0/100 and Lancaster (and the remainder of the WNW range) are held by a variety of IM manufacturers with no interest in getting into the model kit production business. On top of that, some of the sprues needed to make a complete kit (primarily engines) are held by different IM firms. The Fokker D.VII, for example, use the same engine spure as the Albatros D.V but these were made by different IM companies, so anyone wanting to re-release the D.VII would need the co-operation of two different IM companies.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but because WNW was closed rather than made bankrupt the assets are unlikely to be sold off. Maybe Meng or Trumpeter can do a deal with PJ and the various Chinese IM companies involved.

Edited by vince14

Fair comment about the various suppliers but singley or on a whole they have had an income source removed some who have had a project come to completion Gotha/Felixstow will just have a storage issue but the Lancaster/0-400 contractors will be a bit pissed that they have no income for work started so it will be a bit complicated, but my initial point the manufacturing companies still have a dice or two to roll.

But as I said in my previous post PJ is committed to the preservation  of WW1 history as can be seen in his "They shall not grow old" film and the Gallipoli diorama 5000 54mm (1/32 scale) figures http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.com/2015/05/first-pics-of-massive-gallipoli-diorama.html

I know the guys that did the sculpting and production on that job from my (evil empire ) days and that job was no expense spared.

Interesting conversation to follow...

It was strange to see such a company with high end products powering along, suddenly fold. But for me the multiple versions of the same kit in separate boxes was too much. If the difference between 2 or 3 versions was a single sprue and extra decals then one boxing would have been enough for kits such as DFW, Rumpler and a few other less popular types. IMHO

Edited by Pup7309

Personally I don't care who owes whom,or what contortions WNW or Meng are going through.As long as sometime in the near future the WNW Lancaster's wings throw a shadow over my workbench.  Having never looked forward to a kit release as much. It was as if someone had cancelled Christmas.

4 minutes ago, williamj said:

Personally I don't care who owes whom,or what contortions WNW or Meng are going through.As long as sometime in the near future the WNW Lancaster's wings throw a shadow over my workbench.  Having never looked forward to a kit release as much. It was as if someone had cancelled Christmas.

Yes the only bloody Wingnut plane I would buy and I have a monkey stashed (just in case)

2 hours ago, Bob MDC said:

But as I said in my previous post PJ is committed to the preservation  of WW1 history as can be seen in his "They shall not grow old" film and the Gallipoli diorama 5000 54mm (1/32 scale) figures http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.com/2015/05/first-pics-of-massive-gallipoli-diorama.html

I know the guys that did the sculpting and production on that job from my (evil empire ) days and that job was no expense spared.

Wow. The sheer scope of that diorama along is astounding. There are so many elements to look at, it would day a day or two to soak in all the details

On 12/2/2020 at 12:00 AM, Confusionreigns178 said:

According to a recent Australian modelling blog, during its eleven year existence, Wingnut Wings produced a total of 150,000 kits.  That figure sounds rather high to me, but could be an accurate one (I'm no expert on these matters, admittedly). 

Just looking at the kit list on the WnW site, there were 87 individual kit boxings, of which 18 are “limited editions.” If there were 1,000 of each limited kit and the standard releases were of 2,000 kits then total production would be 156,000. So, given what we know, 150,000 is probably on the low side. Figure that the research, design, and development of the molds for the single seaters would have cost $150k-$250k and you can see that multiple boxing’s of each basic tooling to cover different variants would have been required to come close to break-even, assuming 2,000 kits per boxing.

I think that the multiple boxing argument is a bit of a red herring, because if one kit contained all of the variants, economies of scale would have reduced production costs. Take the Bristol Fighter for example. there was a ww1 version and an interwar version. So instead of producing two different boxes, instructions, decals, and plastic parts; then having 2000 of each. Do one version of everything, but make 4000. That has to be cheaper and you are going to sell the same number, probably more because the kit gives you choices to make later. Just my two cents of course.

Steve

Edited by Bradleygolding