tsetse 1/24 scale

Tanker12B

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on the forum, so hope you enjoy. Bought the Airfix 1/24 Mossie a while ago so decided to make a start. It was meant to be an out of the box build as it is an impressive model anyway. So having started I came across the Mk XVIII and that really intrigued me.

Cosford is only 4 miles from me and low and behold they have a complete Molins gun and autoloader on display. I was hooked and as the build hadn’t progressed too far by that stage I took the plunge to replicate it in all its glory complete with Molins gun in glorious 1/24 scale. Whilst I hadn’t expected anything in terms of aftermarket items, I could only find a resin muzzle/additional armour in this scale. This didn’t really do what I wanted as I wanted a full gun actually fitted into the Mossie complete with Autoloader.

This was the start point for trying to find out some information on the installation. The gun was simple enough, even the Autoloader is pretty straight forward, but trying to find installation details/photos etc has proved to be difficult. Cosford very kindly allowed me to have access to their example of the Molins installation to take measurements and photos which has proved to be invaluable.

The only evidence of the actual in situ mounting I have found to date is the excellent book “Shipbuster” which has an isometric sketch of the gun mounted in the plane and so in the absence of anything else I am using that as the basis for mounting my example in the model. I have a couple of screenshots of the design and photos of a prototype build but until I find out how to attach an image via URL that will have to wait.

The whole is a combination of 3d printed parts/turned brass/scratchbuiding etc so is a real mish -mash of techniques. All designed on a 3d designing app which is excellent. So having wetted your appetite for this under modelled version of the superlative Mossie it would interesting to see what you think.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and also whether any of you guys out there have attempted this in the past. Feel free to comment!

Kind Regards 

Tanker12B

Welcome to the forum!

I cant help a lot with the Molins stuff, but when you get ito the build I would be more than happy to help.

I have a detailed build of the Airfix kit on this forum that might be of some use to correct a few kit issues.

Cheers Anthony

The Alleycat conversion may be of help.

Whilst I understand you have looked at am, there's a lot of parts in the conversion and whilst you will have to scratch the actual gun, the conversion may well give you an additional "leg up".

I used their TR33 conversion on mine and it certainly helped.

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/mosquito-fb-mk-xviii-tse-tse-mosquito-conversion-set-decals-5491-p.asp

The Tse Tse was a pretty awesome beast and I recall a story in one of my references when they were U-Boat hunting in the Bay of Biscay.

They used a flight of 4 FBVI's to take on the protecting JU88's whilst the Tse Tse went for the submarines.

Apparently on one occasion the Tse Tse actually used the gun on an '88 "to great effect".

I can imagine !

:lol:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will relook at the alley cat conversion PhilB just a bit bit on the pricey side this side of Christmas! You are right about the 88 going down courtesy of the Molins Gun. The plane I want to replicate  was lost on an anti submarine attack in the Bay of Biscay. Unfortunately both crew were killed, the plane was serialled NNT225 code was O from 248 squadron, I think it nice to attach a little personal history to remember these brave men. The plane was based at Portreath in Cornwall. There is a photo showing a Tse-Tse on the ground with a Molins gun mounted on its gun carriage behind a tractor parked under the wing, I was just conscious that the gun mounted in the plane, very little of it would be seen with the aircraft sitting on the ground and so I will make 2 guns, one mounted in the plane and the second on its carriage so that the detail of both can be seen as in the photo. Does look great. Just hope I can do it justice as there are some very talented modellers out there.
does anyone know of any RAF ground crew in 1/24 scale? It was good to hear from both yourself PhilB and MikeMaben. As soon as I work out how to post pictures here from my iPad I will send them in!

Regards

Tanker 12B

12 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Yes, Barracuda has a pair of crew assembling and mounting rockets. I think a pilot too, though could be mistaken on that one.

Intended, as is the Pilot figure, for the Typhoon, but will work fine for others as well.

• 1 year later...