Tamiya Spit IX Tweak List

John1

I'm thinking about jumping into the Tamiya .IX in the near future.   Looks like there is no official tweak list for this kit here on LSP.   Shall I assume it's perfect?   Any issues I should be aware of?   I know nothing about Spitfires, so any info would be much appreciated.   I do know that Barracuda offers "corrected" cannon bulges so I'm assuming that at minimum, there may be an issue in that area?

Thank you in advance,

John

John,

Barracuda has some great cockpit upgrades as well. They have a seat with leather cushion that IMO is much better than what comes in the kit, sidewalls and instrument panels as well. They also carry resin wheels (if you don't care for the Tamiya rubber ones). Having said that, If you were to choose to build it OOB (which doesn't appear to be your style B))you would not be disappointed.

v/r,

Rob

The Tamiya Spitfire in general goes together really well. There's two styles of cannon bulges in the kit. The wider version depicted in the kit is less common than the one made by Barracuda. 

The kit seat has the flare rack on the front which shouldn't be there. 

The biggest challenge may be the fit of the cowl panels. I've only had issues with them on one of the 9 I've built (not all with full engines) so I think if you work carefully it's fine. 

That's about all I can think of at the moment. 

Edit: I forgot the leading edge insert for the cannon barrels can be another spot with a dodgy fit. I usually alight the upper surface and do any filling on the lower wing. 

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

The Mk IX went through a few changes during production. You might find this site useful:

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-mk-ix-xi-and-xvi-variants-much-varied.html

This is for the Mk IX/XI/XVI but there is a lot of useful info in other areas of the site on Spitfires in general, so worth spending a bit of time exploring.

Happy researching! :) 

PR

2 hours ago, Pete Roberts said:

The Mk IX went through a few changes during production. You might find this site useful:

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-mk-ix-xi-and-xvi-variants-much-varied.html

This is for the Mk IX/XI/XVI but there is a lot of useful info in other areas of the site on Spitfires in general, so worth spending a bit of time exploring.

Happy researching! :) 

PR

Wow, what a great resource. I had no idea there were so many subtle changes to the IX during its production life.  Almost as involved as the Bf-109G series. Any idea which cowling(s) are included in the Tamiya kit?  

I've built a few of the tamiya spitfires.. The only big issue I had with the kit was the cowling fit. The first one I glued the firewall/engine mount (part #G6)  in place and the cowls didn't line up at all due to the fire wall being slightly tweaked when I installed the engine . The subsequent builds I left the mount loose until I was ready to close up all the cowl panels so it had enough movement to line everything up then I glued it. 

Speaking of the Tamiya IX, both Sprue Brothers and Tamiya USA list this kit as sold out.  My LHS doesn’t have it.  Guess I need to do some googling but should I be concerned or is this just a temporary issue due to “cyber Monday”?   

I don't remember having to "correct" anything on the kit. I replaced the seat with the Barracuda version. Oh, the rocker covers should have Rolls Royce on them - again Barracuda to the rescue. The wide gun blisters are a bit odd but the narrow ones are fine.

You will enjoy it, I a sure.