Interesting Spitfire IX

John1

Don't want to start a bun fight, but there's another photo of the pair here, and I think you can see the wingtip light fairing, confirming it has a full span wing.

Different angle, but you can see clearly this one has a clipped wing https://www.alamy.com/supermarine-spitfire-mkxvie-sl718-r-aux-af-612-sqd-1949-cooper-air-image69929557.html

15 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Is Derek still around?

link to his website is dead

Hi Nick,

My Eclipse Model design concern wrapped up around about 2017 (which is why my old website does not work); my masters stayed with Grey Matter Figures, so I do not know if they still make the bomb carrier or not? (it was designed to fit any 1/32 Spitfire kit).

Unicarrierandbomb13-7-12094.jpg

MJ250 definitely features clipped wing tips and looks like it was most likely painted high speed silver (not NMF finish, or the rudder would look distinctly different). I have no idea if the squadron codes are red or black, but on balance, probably black. The upper cowland tank appear to be painted, but exactly what colour, I don't know (there seems to be a hint of demarcation here, so it could be camouflage).

Good luck with your build John - I'm sure that it will look great whatever colours you finally decide upon.

Regards

Derek

Thanks for the info Derek!   That’s a very nice looking bomb carrier.  I’ll check w Grey Matter to see if they have it.  I like the look of a Spit toting a bomb, just makes it a bit out of the ordinary, which is always something I like on my builds.  

Worst case, I think I have a left over bomb carrier w/ my Tamiya Mosquito, they included extras (I’m assuming for if/when they release B.IV).   Shouldn’t be that hard to scratch build the rest of the mounting.  

9 hours ago, John1 said:

Looks like I’ll be scratch building the carrier. Grey Matter has some nice bits but not this particular item.  

That's a pity John, but sounds like the way to go (it is not difficult, just very delicate and fiddly). In the meantime, these might help you:

vsM1ahO.jpg

pllfMQO.jpg

Fb81Qz6.jpg

7omdM8X.jpg

oBZeXgB.jpg

sNZE7Cg.jpg

Good luck

Derek

Edited by Derek B

• 1 month later...

As I get closer to starting this build, just wanted to see if anyone out there might have that Grey Matter Bomb Carrier and would want to part with it.  If so, please advise and I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.  I posted in the "wanted" section of a few website but have had no luck with a response. 

As far as the details of this aircraft, here is what I'm currently thinking:

• Clipped wings
  • Black codes (still may opt for red, if additional pictures or info pop up)
  • Panels in front of the cockpit left in original grey/green camo
  • Remainder of airframe painted overall aluminum.  As noted above by Derek, if the standard camo was simply stripped off, the fabric-covered control surfaces would have been in primer or just left painted.  The fact that the rudder is the same color as the fuselage indicates (to me at least) that it was painted.  As such, I'll be able to replicate a bit of the original camo showing through here and there.  

Feel free to try to change my mind, the more input the better! 

Note as well, this is all predicated on me not getting the courage to convert this to a Mk Vb so I can build a Malta based spit in one of those awesome field applied blue paint jobs. 

25 minutes ago, John1 said:

Note as well, this is all predicated on me not getting the courage to convert this to a Mk Vb so I can build a Malta based spit in one of those awesome field applied blue paint jobs. 

Do both John!

1 hour ago, Shoggz said:

Do both John!

LOL....  My interest in a kit only lasts until I've completed one.  After that, I just can't force myself to go back and repeat a build.    So for better worse, whatever I end up building will be John1's sole Spitfire.

One question I forgot to ask above (and I know the answer will be complete speculation) - what do you guys think about MJ250 having any service stenciling applied?  Regardless of whether it's NMF or painted aluminum, I have a hard time believing that the field crews would have then restored all stencils to Supermarine specifications.  That's too bad in a way because I really like having some service markings present to break up an overall silver finish.   

Thoughts?

Edit - while looking for images of MJ250, I came across this on a flight sim site.   I know that flight sim skins need to be taken with a big grain of salt but does anyone know if this is legit?  If so, I could finally get to do a Malta Spit.

DCS%20Spitfire%20George%20Beurling%20(1)

Edited by John1

12 hours ago, John1 said:

LOL....  My interest in a kit only lasts until I've completed one.  After that, I just can't force myself to go back and repeat a build.    So for better worse, whatever I end up building will be John1's sole Spitfire.

One question I forgot to ask above (and I know the answer will be complete speculation) - what do you guys think about MJ250 having any service stenciling applied?  Regardless of whether it's NMF or painted aluminum, I have a hard time believing that the field crews would have then restored all stencils to Supermarine specifications.  That's too bad in a way because I really like having some service markings present to break up an overall silver finish.   

Thoughts?

Edit - while looking for images of MJ250, I came across this on a flight sim site.   I know that flight sim skins need to be taken with a big grain of salt but does anyone know if this is legit?  If so, I could finally get to do a Malta Spit.

DCS%20Spitfire%20George%20Beurling%20(1)

Nice looking flight sim plane, but not legit.  BR130 was a MkVc with the huge Vokes tropical filter.  What's depicted here is a MkIXc mish mash.  Early MkIX rudder but later carbie air intake.  I don't believe any MkIX's were painted in US intermediate blue, although common on Malta MkV's, as by the time MkIX's were in service on Malta, the siege was over and the war front had moved to Sicily.

Cheers,

Michael