Meng Dr.I complete

jbrundt

Glad the the journey is over. The kit was underwhelming but overall I'm happy with the end result. It's clichéd and iconic. MRP krapplack red for the overall finish. As usual it goes on like buttah. I substituted Master barrels for the kit PE.
The kit has its issues; warped wings, crap instructions, questionable engineering fitting, lots and lots of flash and seam lines that need clean-up and frah-gee-lay structure that needs wire bracing. Admittedly I got caught up in all the hype surrounding this kit but I do like the Dr.I and if i ever get around to building the Roden F.I i have in the stash it will be an interesting comparison. For now though my WWI itch has been scratched and satisfied for quite some time.
Great War planes are always like a session of self-flaggelation.

Edited by jbrundt

Beautiful work!  What did you use for the control and rigging if I may ask?  I have this kit in my stash and it will be interesting to see if it goes together as well a a WNW build.  I am guessing from your report that it will not.

Ernest

7 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Beautiful work!  What did you use for the control and rigging if I may ask?  I have this kit in my stash and it will be interesting to see if it goes together as well a a WNW build.  I am guessing from your report that it will not.

Ernest

Yeah, not at all like a WNW. Lots of flash. Dodgy fit, sink marks. Some things fit fine, others not at all. For example, the left MG drops right in, the right one needs a lot of tweaking to get it to fit properly. The instructions are very vague at times on what parts to use for which version so you'll need to check references. 

For the bracing i used .015" music wire. It's definitely needed on the landing gear. Without it it's very wobbly.

I used EZ line for the aileron cable going from the fuse to the upper wing.

For cables going from the fuse or wings to the control horns i used stretched sprue.

There was a lot of hype built up for this kit. But in no way is this WNW calibre and it can be seen this kit was rushed to market to capitalize on WNW's demise.

2 hours ago, jbrundt said:

Yeah, not at all like a WNW. Lots of flash. Dodgy fit, sink marks. Some things fit fine, others not at all. For example, the left MG drops right in, the right one needs a lot of tweaking to get it to fit properly. The instructions are very vague at times on what parts to use for which version so you'll need to check references. 

For the bracing i used .015" music wire. It's definitely needed on the landing gear. Without it it's very wobbly.

For cables going from the fuse or wings to the control horns i used stretched sprue.

There was a lot of hype built up for this kit. But in no way is this WNW calibre and it can be seen this kit was rushed to market to capitalize on WNW's demise.

Thank you for the insights.  To be fair though, I just finished building the Collishaw WNW Triplane and the undercarriage is very wobbly, so much so that I decided not to shoot photos of the bottom part of the plane because I worried about how fragile the undercarriage seemed to be.

Ernest

On 11/29/2020 at 4:51 PM, jbrundt said:

Take it you've not built a WnW Halberstadt as that is what you have just described regarding fit, flash and general fit. WnW later releases all suffer the same. Great DR.1 though.

Regards. Andy 

11 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Take it you've not built a WnW Halberstadt as that is what you have just described regarding fit, flash and general fit. WnW later releases all suffer the same.

That makes me sad...