1:48 Eduard Bf 110E

PeterOlsen

Hi Folks, here is my WIP on my Eduard 1:48 Bf 110E. I picked up this kit when it first came out, around 2008 somewhere and I started work on the cockpit. Unfortunately, I wasn't happy with my initial work  so consequently it sat around unfinished and nagging at the back of my thoughts until recently when inspiration for the Bf 110 struck. It's a tricky little kit laden with challenges but definitely not without its merits and for Petes sake ( pun intended ) I just can't let it get the better of me. Besides, the stunning boxtop art and the chance to have a mottled finish in RLM 65, 02, 71 seemed to good to resist. 

I'm sure most of you are familiar with this kit but never the less here is a picture of the box top lid.......

dALB98p.jpg 

Ok, so here is the forward cockpit in all its RLM 02 grey green glory. I used Gunze for the base tone with flat black pre shading to begin. There's and oil wash of black and burnt Sienna and the chips and scuffing were applied with  the sponge technique using Vallejo German Cam. black brown. As I mentioned previously, I wasn't happy with my first finish so a lot of reworking and blending was utilized with the above methods until I was satisfied.

dXRIhEh.jpg 

I also employed an edition photo etch set from Eduard for this kit to enhance some of the cockpit parts such as the throttle console, rudder pedals and Instrument panel.

TPtkOfo.jpg 

A shot of some of the rear and forward pit parts which includes the Quickboost ammunition canisters and radios. I had to saw off the Quickboost radios from their bulkhead as it was quite smaller then the kit part and I didn't want take any chances with fit issues. It was then just a simple matter of attaching them to the kit bulkhead with CA glue. I used the Eduard color photo etch I.P  from the kit but I didn't like the pixelated look of the color etched so I toned it down with several washes. I added some Future in the instrument lenses but its not really showing up in the picture to well.

WvaM6w3.jpg 

The two rear cockpit side walls, coincidentally I was happy with the way these turned out in my first workings.

uRwU2Ja.jpg 

And finally, the rear cockpit floor assembly which happened to be quite fiddly but worth it in the end. I left out some of the forward ammunition canisters here and some of the lower ones had to endure some plastic shaving to get them to fit. I'm not sure if this was due to some misalignment of my own doing when I first started building this kit.

vwkYREL.jpg 

Well, thats it for now and thanks for taking a look inside,

Cheers,

Pete.:coolio:

Thanks Kagemusha

Thanks mozart

Mozart, The weathering was achieved by layering of different techniques ; spray painting pre shadows, oil washes, paint chips and scuffing with a sponge ( similar to a dry brush but with a sponge) some fine brush painting with paint chips in there too.  I had to do some reworking so it was kind of a " lather wash rinse repeat" kind of affair. 

Cheers,

Pete 

I have this sitting and waiting, and will get a few of the 110G-4 when it comes out again in the new year. What I like is that it is about the only 110 with a correct trailing edge (apart from Matchbox) but they goofed up the rear upper fuselage so a shim is required there. Apparently it is also a cow to get the cowlings to fit.

AlbertD : Thank you,  glad to have you aboard.

Alburymodel: Is Eduard re-releaseing the 1:48 BF 110G-4 again ? Where did you hear that ? I've been looking on their site and they're sold out and I can't seem to find them on the web either. Thats some good news hopefully.  

I've been eyeing off some of the 1:48 pro modeller 110g-4's on eBay,    .....I have the g-2 in the stash but I would need to get exhaust dampeners and the antennas- would probably have to go the scratch build route though.............

Hope all is well in Oz back home mate

cheers,

Pete.

You are a brave man tackling that kit. Like you, I started an Eduard 110 upon my re-entry into the hobby around 10 years ago but just didn't have the skills back then to go any further than the cockpit (which was challenging in itself) so I shelved it and eventually got rid of the kit. I'll be watching this build closely as I really want to pick another one up and give it another go.

G'day everyone, here's a bit of progress on the 110 to show you. All the cockpit parts have been cemented into their required places and packed away nicely into the fuselage parts. After all the hard work I always find this to be a bit of a bitter sweet moment on any kit but the build does have to move on. I left out some of the ammunition canisters near the radios which will require a little adjusting to get them to sit in nicely. 

The two fuselage halves went together rather well and I took extra care to make sure the vertical panel  lines matched up on the upper and lower parts of the fuselage spine. This would have been a real mess to correct so its definitely worth taking a little extra care to get things right if you're working on this kit. After clean up they did need a bit of a re-scribe to freshen them up and I also added some rivets with my 1:48 Rosie to replace some of the lost detail.

A6Ph3YM.jpg 

Their is a bit of a gap on the port side of the middle instrument panel ( between the front an rear cockpits ) but this fit very well I just haven't added any cement their yet. Eduard depicts this part as being hollow from the sides .........I wonder if this was the case in real life ? Does anyone have any pics or info on this area ?

I was only able to find a front on view of these instruments.  :hmmm:

...Below are some pics of the re-scribing and riveting of the fuselage spine. I've added an acrylic wash here so the details pop up better in the photos.

OjaVGS1.jpg 

And the bottom half......

Sa5KWJD.jpg 

More in just a tick .................

And now onto the most challenging and notorious part of this kit ..... The engines !!! " den den dahhhhh !"  :o  (that's supposed to be some dramatic daunting music there)

To be blunt the fit of these parts is not good, but you will see below my way around it.... Oh, I forgot to mention, I glued the top and bottom wing halves together first.

I worked on attaching only one half of the engine to wings first. I focused on only cementing the joins on the top side first. I used supper glue gel underneath the joints and when I was happy that the parts were aligned properly I hit them with some accelerator to secure them in place.

Q3Lhqkh.jpg 

Once this was done I used regular super glue as a filler so that the engine fillet would match the contour of the wing. All that was needed was some careful sanding with fine grade wet and dry wrapped around a toothpick. I also used a little CA glue on the upper join also. Super glue drys rock hard so it will make restoring the panel lines with a scribe much easier. This is the reason I did not use any putty at all in this area of the build.

The same process was used for attaching the second half of the engine to the wing. You are of course left with a gap down the middle of the engine parts but this is far easier to correct than two gaps on both the wing fillet side of the engines ! :coolio:

w4CzJqo.jpg 

Below is the starboard engine, I still have some scribe work to do on the panels yet.

mv6kX6n.jpg 

Thats it for now, stay tuned,

cheers,

Pete.  :piliot: