Quick unboxing of the New Italeri Tonka GR.4

Eagle Driver

I've just come indoors from the workshop and my cnc is 3d machining the rivet and panel lines using a 0.1 mm engraving cutter on some Lancaster bulged bomb bay doors, but really once you press go and walk away it's a judgement call as to if you think its deep enough or not. Remember this is a model not the real thing scaled down. I can't imagine you would throw away a block of steel that you've worked on for weeks because of some slight witness lines. Sods law if you did there would be a blemish on a different part next time round.

Graham 

16 hours ago, viper said:

Mine is clean and as said I picked up mine for 100 including post ..

14 hours ago, GrahamF said:

£75 a bargain.

6 hours ago, GrahamF said:

I think this forum needs a group scratch build exercise, that'll get things into perspective.

Graham 

6 hours ago, Lancman said:

Combat or I D vacs would sort the men out from the boys :rofl: I have not got my kit yet but the panel lines and the latches look a bit heavy.

If I could have got the kit for 75 or even 100 I wouldn't have as much criticism. Would love to know where you got it from at that price, and a link.
As it is I paid ~130 posted and my parts don't seem to been produced at the level for something of that cost.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

Hi guys, I fear I found a mistake, the panel between the two green lines is too wide by 1,5/2 mm. Nose cone looks perfect in shape and dimensions but that panel is too wide and makes the nose too look more sleekmain.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itk

if you want to try to correct it mind not to glue the radome! The res of the kit looks very good and part fits quite well, it is a pity that decals for instruments are available for the front cockpit only!

Edited by Paolomaglio

Just received mine and the first error I can see is the back seater control panel, that's for a ECR Tornado not RAF. RAF  Tonkas have the Control laser and one dial in the left corner not a multi screen and 5 dials as seen in the following photos.

20201204-201011.jpg

FB-IMG-1607109111293.jpg

Graham

Edited by Lancman

• 2 weeks later...

the forward fuselage is too short in relation to the height of the canopy, the Revell kit has the same problem.

https://ibb.co/R0RffxB

https://ibb.co/wJtMpg6

https://ibb.co/Ldc6fn0

with the canopy opened it is less noticeable. The Revell kit has a better upper angle of the radome/nacelle junction, but it needs to be corrected in shape towards the pitot (here Italeri is more correct because it is slightly more "rounded" than Revell one)

Edited by Luca

Mmmmmhhhh...

Even if I can be a nasty nit-picker with regard to models, this really asks for additional checks. I'm not saying the model is 100% accurate but, to me, the proportions look globally right. Same remark for the nose.

Assessing such shape and dimension differences with that picture method is like dancing in a minefield! It is very difficult to compare dimensions from pictures and more particularly from different size objects at different distances. I'm remembering my photography courses when I was a teenager. My jaw nearly dropped when our teacher showed us comparisons of pictures of the same object or area taken from the same point at the same time with different lenses. This really looked like different realities. And here we have different sizes, different distances and very probably different lenses.

You do not imagine the amount of distorsion linked to lens change and photography conditions. Accordingly, I'm always taking such comparisons with a huge grain of salt as I know for sure that our brain can be very easily cheated... This is typically why I prefer comparing proportions rather than one dimension measurements in such circumstances.