Traveling home today

John1

Flying home from a job in PA today was a surreal experience.  Washington/ Dulles is one of the busiest airports in the US.  Passing through it at noontime, it was a ghost town.  Just a shell of itself with closed restaurants / shops and empty terminals.  I walked down a terminal for nearly 20 gates and passed a single person (a janitor).  Saw a 787 heading to S Korea with maybe 30 passengers lined up to board.   IAD has over a hundred gates.  As we taxi’d out, I saw a total of three occupied.  Sad.  

I’m so done with 2020.  Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving folks. 

Edited by John1

Sorry, I’m a little confused here.  “Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving folks, “Safe travels....”, “raise a glass....,” “Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving holiday” are offensive??  How??  Nobody said a word about that which apparently cannot be named. John 1 was just telling us what he saw and some of us commiserated because we too remember how busy IAD used to be and wished him a safe and speedy trip home.  Has the grinch stolen Thanksgiving as well?

13 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Sorry, I’m a little confused here.  “Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving folks, “Safe travels....”, “raise a glass....,” “Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving holiday” are offensive??  How??  Nobody said a word about that which apparently cannot be named. John 1 was just telling us what he saw and some of us commiserated because we too remember how busy IAD used to be and wished him a safe and speedy trip home.  Has the grinch stolen Thanksgiving as well?

The posts in question have already been removed, it has nothing to do with any Thanksgiving greetings

I flew out to San Francisco about 12-15 years ago to meet my wife that was taking classes. Typical Atlanta mess, got on one of those wide bodies with the row of seats in the middle (sad, I know.  On an airplane modeling forum and I don’t know what kind of airplane I was on) But from ATL to San Fran there was only 3 or 4 passengers on the plane.  It was the last time I was on a plane that was not over booked.  

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

I flew out to San Francisco about 12-15 years ago to meet my wife that was taking classes. Typical Atlanta mess, got on one of those wide bodies with the row of seats in the middle (sad, I know.  On an airplane modeling forum and I don’t know what kind of airplane I was on) But from ATL to San Fran there was only 3 or 4 passengers on the plane.  It was the last time I was on a plane that was not over booked.  

My flight home to PVD had at best a quarter of the seats filled.  Granted it was a small EMB-145 but I think this was the first time in a decade or so that my plane hasn't been full or close to full.   On the plus side they are again serving snacks and soft drinks.   Asked the FA for a beer, she told me she wished they'd start allowing them to sell booze, with all the stress this year, it would probably be a good thing for all concerned.   Hope by this time next year, we are all in better shape. 

1 hour ago, John1 said:

My flight home to PVD had at best a quarter of the seats filled.  Granted it was a small EMB-145 but I think this was the first time in a decade or so that my plane hasn't been full or close to full.   On the plus side they are again serving snacks and soft drinks.   Asked the FA for a beer, she told me she wished they'd start allowing them to sell booze, with all the stress this year, it would probably be a good thing for all concerned.   Hope by this time next year, we are all in better shape. 

Plenty of seats and snacks but no booze! Oh well the Covid won’t last forever- have a few to make up for it after you land- enjoy your holiday :D

14 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

The posts in question have already been removed, it has nothing to do with any Thanksgiving greetings

If I might be a little constructive here.

If the mods had said that posts had been removed in addition to the warning about future posts then it would have made sense.

As it was it looked like people were being warned for no visible reason and couldn't understand why.

Just sayin'

:)