1/32 SH Hawker Tempest Mk V, "Kicked Up A Notch" New eBook!

chuck540z3

November 24/20

After 7 months I have finally finished the 1/32 Special Hobby “High Tech” Tempest Mk V, kit number 32052.  This kit has some really nice additions in the box already, like several resin parts, photo-etch parts and even some fabric seat belts, so you don’t need too much for aftermarket accessories if you want to “Kick It Up A Notch”, like I always try to do.  Still, I did add the following:

• #32234 Barracuda Nose Correction Set with Props
  • #32141 Barracuda Intake Ring
  • #32239 CMK Exhaust Set
  • #32122 Maketar Paint Masks for all insignias and other markings
  • #232016 HGW Wet Transfer Decals, which appear to be currently out of production

The subject for my Tempest is one that French Fighter ace Pierre Clostermann flew, and there is a good article on him at the Hawker Tempest Page website here, where I derived most of my references for this build.

Pierre Clostermann's JF-E Aircraft

In this article is a pic of Clostermann standing on the wing of NV724, which has the Cross of Lorraine on the chin and the 3 Squadron “Cockatrice” at the top of the tail which were applied after the war, along with a kill scoresheet next to him.  To weather this model I tried to show that while most of the aircraft had been heavily used in battle, these items were left relatively clean.

szLF12.jpg

And here is my attempt at more or less the same, which went by kit instructions rather than try to match this one side exactly.

92vDGn.jpg

While the kit can create an impressive Tempest, there are many challenges that I tried to document in a long build article that goes through every step of the model, including detailed instructions here:

SH Hawker Tempest Mk V, "Kicked Up A Notch"

I tried many things in this build that were new to me, like liquid mask on a sponge to create paint chipping, MRP acrylic lacquer paints and Metal Liner metallic accent wash to enhance the rivet and panel lines with a metallic color, rather than the traditional dark washes that usually look really good, but often don’t look realistic. 

Now the pics, taken from just about every angle- so sorry there's so many! ^_^

ngouLZ.jpg

73qCZg.jpg

2bYM1F.jpg

ogv7LX.jpg

mWpHEm.jpg

55MljP.jpg

4ZGjVz.jpg

Note:  Tempest landing gear and wheels toe outwards a few degrees.

bFdC5b.jpg

pHgcmD.jpg

o3nwQI.jpg

zkMXMM.jpg

9w12x7.jpg

qWHPvg.jpg

PuJtuk.jpg

9zJZEJ.jpg

2s2f2k.jpg

8vV72U.jpg

9SmWz2.jpg

xZdxkk.jpg

8Nfbhp.jpg

6yAFj0.jpg

IhFo5r.jpg

eAypSj.jpg

6ZpGQ5.jpg

Uj9UM1.jpg

2wfMa7.jpg

7RcK81.jpg

Bpaaf3.jpg

HB84Pa.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Apologies for being late to the party, Chuck.  Life has been upside down in our home for the last couple of months so I'm finally catching up on stuff that I've missed.  To quote the cartoons, "Well Mr. Magoo...you've done it again."  A wonderful execution on your Tempest.  Very impressive work.  Another treasure to be proud of.  I can't wait to start following your CF-104 build.

Take care and stay safe.

Mike