Not LSP - but certainly Large Scale Pricing

Norm In Toronto

1 hour ago, BloorwestSiR said:

I'd be more interested if it was the 1968 Lemans car instead. I like the shape of that one much more, not to mention the Gulf livery. 

Carl

But, that was a Gulf Mirage, not a 'regular" GT40, correct?

2 hours ago, Lee White said:

But, that was a Gulf Mirage, not a 'regular" GT40, correct?

The 1968 and 1969 LeMans winners were Mk1 versions.  The Meng kit and 1966 winner are Mk2.  The 1967 was a Mk4.  The main differences between the Mk1-3 are the front and rear bonnets.  The 1968 also had a wider rear track and the 1969 was even wider.  The Mk4 looked more like a brick in the center section.  They are all GT40's though as the basic chassis are very similar.  Engines varied by race and owner as well as some dictation by the rear bonnet.

The Gulf Mirage can refer to two different cars by J W Automotive.  The first being similar to the GT40 but with a much more narrow roof and a few other mods.  That is the M1.  It raced in 1967.  Then you have the various other M's which were open top Group 6 cars intermingled with a few GR's such as the GR8 which won LeMans 1975.

Edited by nichenson

I'll just make the point that historically hyper inflated prices (of pretty much anything) are often the prelude to large financial crashes . After 12 months of Covid economic destruction globally I've a feeling 2021 will make 2008 et all look like a small bump in the road. 

Edited by Panzerwomble

• 1 month later...

I actually ordered one from Hobbyeasy in Hong Kong @ $295 CAD plus shipping about another $60-65 for a single kit. https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/il3h1h32zrmgqzejzhdi.html

I also ordered a couple of the Trumpeter 'old' rereleases at only $80 CAD each, the Fujimi 1/24 are hard to find at retailers and often go for more than that on ebay. Combined shipping was just under $110 by EMS, I think surface would have been about 60. I should have them in a couple of weeks.

I was looking at some of the more recent pics of the Meng kit and wasn't liking some of the exposed screw heads and stuff. Sort of ruined the feel of the kit for me. Fujimi has the same issue with their 1/12 Skyline. 

As for other large scale cars, I've got the Doyusha Lancia Stratos on the bench. It's not a shake and bake kit but I'm having fun with it. 

PXL_20210102_224046614-600x450.jpg

Carl

On 11/24/2020 at 6:24 PM, BloorwestSiR said:

Try a Model Factory Hiro kit. Their 1/12 kits are easily double to triple that price.

https://www.hlj.com/search/?q=Model+factory+hiro&productFilter=scale%3A1%2F12%3B%3BitemType%3ARacing Car Kits

They're insanely detailed. The 956 I have has separate brake pads.

I recall that some of the Pocher car models were also quite high in price, but they also frequently included some outrageously cool details.

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I recall that some of the Pocher car models were also quite high in price, but they also frequently included some outrageously cool details.

They did. The Pocher kits were pretty much the actual car shrunk down to 8th scale. Including leather and metal to represent the real parts.

Matt 

15 hours ago, Allan Peters said:

the Fujimi 1/24 are hard to find at retailers and often go for more than that on ebay. 

Fujimi seems to love short production runs of stuff.  Trying to hunt down their F1 or sports car kits if you missed them at the time is one heck of a waiting game.

Matt