Not LSP - but certainly Large Scale Pricing

Norm In Toronto

Listed today at Hobbylink Japan the Meng 1/12 GT40 is priced at just a buck or two less than $450.00 Cdn.  From what I've seen of the built-up model  ( https://www.themodellingnews.com/2020/10/preview-details-of-mengs-12th-scale.html ) it's very nice but NOT up to Tamiya's past 1/12 scale F1 vehicles (and they never got to the $400 mark - at least not as originally issued).  Meng does great work, but I'm afraid this is just an attempted "gouge". 

Out of my snack bracket - sorry Meng.

Edited by Norm In Toronto
missing bracket

Its around £260 at the moment in the UK so nearly twice Tamiya's Porsche re-releases.

I don't think the pre-colouring in the example is doing the model any favours, the grey masters looked better.

I think I'll wait for some reviews to come out before deciding to purchase or not.

Meng military stuff is pretty decent and the Kawasaki looks nice (just not my kind of motorcycle) so hopefully this will turn out OK.

Hopefully it will sell so they can invest in a Ferrari 330P4 and Porsche 917k in the same scale!

Maybe this is sorta similar to the Meng Fokker that was released recently - you could get it as low as $36 from places like Lucky Model but in the states it was/is like $90 from some retailers?

Still even at the "low" price of $250 mentioned above that seems like a lot for a kit that looks decent but at first blush not "hyper" detailed in 1/12. Wonder if Meng was raked over the coals to get the licensing from Ford for it or something and that is the reason for the expense?

24 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

I don’t do cars but how on earth can a car kit be that much?

is that a joke?

Nope, no joke.  This link automatically determines my location as "Canada" - your mileage may vary.

https://www.hlj.com/1-12-scale-ford-gt40-mk-ii-66-menrs-002?utm_source=HobbyLink+Japan+Newsletter&utm_campaign=cafd9b0c55-EDM_RANKING_AUTOMOTIVE_2020_11_27&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_baa74bea0a-cafd9b0c55-226438921&goal=0_baa74bea0a-cafd9b0c55-226438921&mc_cid=cafd9b0c55&mc_eid=3da1e26b28

Ordering just about any Chinese manufacturers' kit from HLJ adds a bunch of duty to the price. 

Great Hobbies has it listed for $399 and free shipping. I suspect they'll have a Black Friday sale up that let you get a discount off that price. 

https://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=MGKRS002

They have a location in Mississauga along with their warehouse. 

Carl

30 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

I don’t do cars but how on earth can a car kit be that much?

is that a joke?

Try a Model Factory Hiro kit. Their 1/12 kits are easily double to triple that price.

https://www.hlj.com/search/?q=Model+factory+hiro&productFilter=scale%3A1%2F12%3B%3BitemType%3ARacing Car Kits

They're insanely detailed. The 956 I have has separate brake pads.

DSC_0392-600x339.jpg

Some even have working engine internals. 

The price for the Meng kit is what a MFH 1/24 kit costs. 

13 hours ago, Norm In Toronto said:

The auto located has the price at $344 for me. Still too steep.

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I do have to admit, that is a hefty sum for something where my interest is not substantially peaked. 

I'd be more interested if it was the 1968 Lemans car instead. I like the shape of that one much more, not to mention the Gulf livery. 

Carl