Zoukei-Mura 1/32 He 219 advice

Gremell

43 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Just to clarify: by “error propagation” I mean minute gaps between adjacent panels can add up to something that has to be dramatically sanded or not fitting. Zoukei Mura is my favorite kit manufacturer, so I certainly haven’t let this experience keep me from away from building their other releases.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom. That’s very helpful advice. It amplifies what I’ve heard from other posters in this thread as well as reviews I’ve read elsewhere. It’s certainly a beautiful kit but I appreciate it will need a considerable investment of time and patience.

Wingnut Wings kits have identical issues.

Designed and manufactured with extremely fine tolerances means layers of paint can cause subsequent assembly issues.

Unpainted Parts which test fitted ok can creep out of position after painting and then assembly can create problems.

Clean part contacts and painting after assembly where possible all reduce issues.

Precision is important in construction.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:53 PM, Gremell said:

Hi Matt. No, I haven’t started the ZM He-219 yet. I retired last year, and now that I have more spare time (grandkids permitting) I’ve been steadily learning the skills needed to be within a bull’s roar of the expertise demonstrated by the members of this august forum. I’m currently building Tamiya’s latest kit, the 1/48 P-38 F/G Lightning. The pieces fit so well, I reckon it would hold together without glue, so it gives me more time to focus on the finer details rather than wrestle with fit issues. I want to be more confident of what I’m doing before tackling the Uhu.  I have the Zamarbide He-219 book (he has to be the Da Vinci of this hobby) and also the R. Francis Ferguson He-219 book, which to date has been touted as the most comprehensive on the subject. Are you aware that Chandos Publishing in England plans to publish a comprehensive He-219 book this year? How have you found the fit of ZM’s He-219?

Thanks for the tip on the upcoming book. As far as fit goes I have completed both engines and about to complete the cockpit. It seems like when I feel it's about ready to be glued together, I'll see something else I need to work on painting wise. The fit of the engines and cockpit are fine as long as you dry fit first and watch the photos and drawings in the instruction manual. I am looking forward to the fuselage fit and will be dry fitting the heck out of it as well. It is an enjoyable kit to build and the detail is fantastic without buying a bunch of aftermarket or making a ton of corrections.

On a side note, I retired last year as well.

Hi Matt.

In case you need it, here is the URL for Chandos Publications:

https://www.chandospublications.co.uk/

If you go to the "blog" tab, you'll find a couple of entries about the forthcoming He-219 book.

You've given me more confidence about tackling the ZM He-219.

I'm a stickler for accuracy, so I have no problem with the tolerances being so tight in the ZM kit. 

About two years ago, I tackled a warship kit manufactured decades ago that I had stored away. The poor fit and the amount of filling and sanding I had to do drove me nuts, especially as I was still employed, had little spare time and had only just dipped my toe back into my childhood passion of scale modelling. The fact that the deck had a casting error didn't help. I was happy with the end result, though.

Compared with that, the Tamiya P-38 I'm building now is a dream. Certainly, kit design and manufacture has undergone a quantum leap since the 1970s (when I think my warship kit was first produced).

I'm enjoying the challenge of building up my skill now that I'm retired, and it certainly fills in the time during Covid 19 lockdowns.

38 minutes ago, Gremell said:

Hi Matt.

In case you need it, here is the URL for Chandos Publications:

https://www.chandospublications.co.uk/

If you go to the "blog" tab, you'll find a couple of entries about the forthcoming He-219 book.

You've given me more confidence about tackling the ZM He-219.

I'm a stickler for accuracy, so I have no problem with the tolerances being so tight in the ZM kit. 

About two years ago, I tackled a warship kit manufactured decades ago that I had stored away. The poor fit and the amount of filling and sanding I had to do drove me nuts, especially as I was still employed, had little spare time and had only just dipped my toe back into my childhood passion of scale modelling. The fact that the deck had a casting error didn't help. I was happy with the end result, though.

Compared with that, the Tamiya P-38 I'm building now is a dream. Certainly, kit design and manufacture has undergone a quantum leap since the 1970s (when I think my warship kit was first produced).

I'm enjoying the challenge of building up my skill now that I'm retired, and it certainly fills in the time during Covid 19 lockdowns.

Here's my finished Engines

pmsvQ3F5jpmBL82bxjpo9zPyj0j

Matt, those look awesome! I like the weathering a lot. We just started a LSP Engines thread, and it would be great to these there if you are willing.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Matt, I wholeheartedly agree with Tom ... that is amazing work.

I love the grease and oil stains and the subtle shadow effects. In his He-219 book, Zamarbide uses HB and 2B pencils and a draftsman's 0.2mm black ink pen to get some of these effects. Is that how you approached it?

11 hours ago, Gremell said:

Matt, I wholeheartedly agree with Tom ... that is amazing work.

I love the grease and oil stains and the subtle shadow effects. In his He-219 book, Zamarbide uses HB and 2B pencils and a draftsman's 0.2mm black ink pen to get some of these effects. Is that how you approached it?

Exactly. I became a "student of effects".