Zoukei-Mura 1/32 He 219 advice

Gremell

1 hour ago, Gremell said:

Kevin, I've taken your advice and just bought the Airframe Constructor book from Valiant Wings. Thanks for the recommendation.

If it helps at all, I gave the book a brief review when it first came out:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1259

Kev

On 11/24/2020 at 1:26 PM, Gremell said:

Thank you Martin.

Your advice, along with Mike's video review, have convinced me to have a shot at this kit.

And thanks to Kevin, BaldEagle and mpk for welcoming me to this forum.

Great to hear that, hope you enjoy building it :)

Welcome sir.

I have built this model some years ago to completion. There’s a basic and poorly done, semi-complete build log of it on this wonderful site. I truly battled this kit down every single step - although I built mine with all of the panels open. I had become so very frustrated with it that I stopped glueing models for half a year after I built it. The comment about “dry fitting” is very much understated. The kit is beautiful and terrible all at the same time. I am very proud that I finished the model. It sits proudly in a big glass case along with all of the competition awards it took in our local circuit - but it was absolutely the most difficult model I have ever built. Be very careful, very deliberate. 

Justin

edit: if you PM me your email, id be more than happy to send you photos of it

Edited by FunkyZeit

Hi Justin.

Thanks very much for your advice. I would love to see your pictures.

I tried to PM you my email address, however I received a message saying you cannot receive it. I’m a newbie here so it’s entirely possible I may have done something wrong.

• 1 month later...

Just checking to see if you have been working on the ZM 219 kit. I have the kit as well and I am about to wrap up my cockpit. The Concept note is no where to be found, I have checked everywhere and would pay good money for one if I can find it. I have used the Zamarbide while working on it which has been useful as far as the painting techniques which adds to the enjoyment of the kit. I also purchased several books on the subject which has really brought about respect for the design and implementation of the Uhu in combat. Not only was it a unique design, it was one deadly combat aircraft. 

Hi Matt. No, I haven’t started the ZM He-219 yet. I retired last year, and now that I have more spare time (grandkids permitting) I’ve been steadily learning the skills needed to be within a bull’s roar of the expertise demonstrated by the members of this august forum. I’m currently building Tamiya’s latest kit, the 1/48 P-38 F/G Lightning. The pieces fit so well, I reckon it would hold together without glue, so it gives me more time to focus on the finer details rather than wrestle with fit issues. I want to be more confident of what I’m doing before tackling the Uhu.  I have the Zamarbide He-219 book (he has to be the Da Vinci of this hobby) and also the R. Francis Ferguson He-219 book, which to date has been touted as the most comprehensive on the subject. Are you aware that Chandos Publishing in England plans to publish a comprehensive He-219 book this year? How have you found the fit of ZM’s He-219?

The ZM He-219 is the only ZM kit I’ve set aside. I’ve completed five ZM kits and loved every single one of them. I love their 219 kit as well but it seems due to the design and shapes involved error propagation is even more of a factor with this one. Be at least five steps ahead with dry fitting, especially the fuselage, and probably the engine nacelles as well. I will be finishing it at some point! Hope this helps,

Cheers,  Tom

Just to clarify: by “error propagation” I mean minute gaps between adjacent panels can add up to something that has to be dramatically sanded or not fitting. Zoukei Mura is my favorite kit manufacturer, so I certainly haven’t let this experience keep me from away from building their other releases.

Cheers,  Tom