Göring’s White Fokker D.vii

Sitting pondering the stash and looking at Göring’s D.vii from WNW. Would anyone know if the white was applied over the standard factory lozenge or was it a special scheme painted directly at the factory like Richthofen’s DR.1.

all thoughts and opinions most welcome!

regards

Cicchino

48 minutes ago, Cicchino said:

Sitting pondering the stash and looking at Göring’s D.vii from WNW. Would anyone know if the white was applied over the standard factory lozenge or was it a special scheme painted directly at the factory like Richthofen’s DR.1.

regards

Cicchino

I forget where from but I read that it came from the factory with the standard lozenge scheme and was painted over in the field just like MvR's red triplane. I have this kit too and was thinking of having lozenge a little visible under the white. It would add a little more interest to the plain white paint.

1 hour ago, Cicchino said:

regards

Cicchino

4 minutes ago, John1 said:

That’s funny, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that his aircraft came from the factory in overall white.  

That is funny. My understanding is the fabric had the patern on it before they applied it to the plane. There are several photos of tne plane on the WnW website. I don't know if it shows it well enough to be sure.

1 hour ago, Cicchino said:

regards

Cicchino

10 minutes ago, John1 said:

That’s funny, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that his aircraft came from the factory in overall white.  

I knew I read it somewhere. It's on the painting and markings page of the kit instructions. 

On 11/25/2020 at 5:41 AM, vince14 said:

Greg VanWyngarden ( a noted WWI aviation historian) has stated that D.VII F 5125/18 was almost certainly painted white at the Fokker factory at Goering's request.

So that begets the question of whether the Fokker folks would have gone to the trouble of using non-printed fabric or simply painted over the standard lozenge.  If the latter, I'm sure they would have done a much better job than if it was field applied but maybe there was still a chance that a slight hint of lozenge could be visible?

Personally I think it's more likely that the white was painted over the lozenge rather than being a total custom job. There's not much evidence of lozenge in the photos of 5125/17, but I would assume that the inside of the cockpit would still be 'interior' lozenge.

As ever with WWI, it's all down to individual interpretation from period photographs so neither approach is wrong.

7 hours ago, vince14 said:

Personally I think it's more likely that the white was painted over the lozenge rather than being a total custom job. There's not much evidence of lozenge in the photos of 5125/17, but I would assume that the inside of the cockpit would still be 'interior' lozenge.

As ever with WWI, it's all down to individual interpretation from period photographs so neither approach is wrong.

Probably a safe bet. I don't know how opaque white was back in the day, but seems more likely a dedecent paint job over lozenge.

10 hours ago, vince14 said:

I think when I build mine I'll let a bit of the lozenge to show through just for interest. A stark white would be a bit dull but having a bit of lozenge show through would tell a bit of a story.