1/32 Messerschmitt Bf110 Flaps......

BadHatHarry

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know if any AM company make a set of resin flaps to fit the 1/32 Dragon / Revell Messerschmitt Bf110 models? I know that the corresponding slats are available from Master Casters but cannot find any flaps in my searches.

Failing this, has anyone tried to convert the kit wings to show dropped flaps? How easy is it and any issues to watch out for?

Many thanks

BHH

I’ve made several Bf110s in all the usual scales but the only dropped flaps that I’ve seen were in 1/48 by Verlinden, they were difficult to use mainly because of the way they interface with the aft end of the undercarriage wheel well. Funnily enough though, I’ve never seen a picture of an operational Bf110 with lowered flaps, so I haven’t bothered trying to convert any of the three 1/32 scale ones that I’ve built. 

Years ago I used two of the old Revell Bf-110G kits to make one set. Second set for the curved surfaces.

I am pretty sure you still have to chop and create the front surfaces; top and bottom.   No AM.  Master Casters sold slats but nothing for the flaps. Dropped flaps BTW do add interest.

If you do a night fighter remember to use the drop  tanks with flat/cut off back ends so flaps will clear the tanks when down.

1 hour ago, BadHatHarry said:

Thanks for the updates guys. I came across a photo of a 110 with dropped flaps (actually on the cover of Ron Mackay's book "Messerschmitt Bf110: the Luftwaffe's Fighter-Destroyer in World War II") and so am determined to make one soon. Will probably have to chop and create as you suggest, Rick.

Good luck Rick, not an easy job.  Make sure you do a WiP here for us Bf110 fans!  What is your base kit going to be?

It can be done, not too difficult as I recall (back in the '90s).

Careful cutting and some reshaping/thinning inside of the bay

that the lower leading edge of the flap goes into the rear gear bay.

1/48

AA3bafW.jpg

LENMFgG.jpg

4iJ1XLn.jpg

Edited by MikeMaben

On 11/22/2020 at 11:06 PM, Rick Griewski said:

If you do a night fighter remember to use the drop  tanks with flat/cut off back ends so flaps will clear the tanks when down.

Hy Rick

Interesting, but no evidence on wartime picture, except if you got it.

Amities

Fab