Caudron C.714C.1 Wingtip lights?

Hi everyone. I'm soon to start building the 1/32 Azur kit of the Caudron (in France flown by a Polish pilot). One thing puzzles me; I have scoured every photo and reference I can find, including photos of the Caudron under restoration in Finland, but I cannot find the location of the wingtip lights. I find it hard to believe a combat aircraft in 1940 did not have them so can anyone give me any advice, or a link to any reference showing them?

Thanks

BHH

Hi BHH,

I completed a model of the Finish Caudron in the Eastern Front Group Build and used the Cyclone - The Ultemate Story by Belcarz et al as reference.

The Caudron was a derivative of a racing plane - the thinking was that a racing machine was fast, hence it must be useful for fighter purposes.  However, reality shoed that this was not the case.  The Polish pilots that managed to get to France and fight there using this machine managed to score a few hits - but this was mainly thanks to their skill and determination, rather than aircraft performance.

Reerring to your question . The book I mentioned has plenty of period photographs, and none of these airplanes show any sign of having position lights - not on the fuselage, not on the wings, not near the tail.  I think it is safe to build the plane without any lights.

There are also many well-researched painting schemes for various Polish pilots in the book - some very interesting camouflage patterns as there was nothing standard at the time.

Feel free to ask more questions. Kind regards

L.H.