Custom Miniature's (1:16/1:12?) scale Fi 103 V1

Zac_Zolar

Does anybody have any info on this kit?

From memory this super kit was available in the late '80s, I think via Dorking Models. It had a vacform fuselage and wings with cut aways that revealed a mainly white metal interior and an acrylic stand. I had one back in the day but it got trashed in a house move an epoch ago. I have a vain hope of sourcing another one, but I never seen one again despite intermittent searches down the years. I can't remember the scale, most likely 1:16, however, I stand to be corrected on that.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who remembers it and can hopefully fill in my hazy memory about it and more so from any kind soul has one they are willing to part with.

Ta.

Zac. 

Edited by Zac_Zolar

19 hours ago, Bob MDC said:

Unfortunately that is not the one. That is a nice kit (but albeit very basic in comparison to the Custom Miniatures one) however, its an IM moulded one that came quite a few years after, sans any interior detail - I think the scale is different as well. As an aside the Pegasus kit was for some reason shot in ABS not styrene.

Zac. 

Edited by Zac_Zolar

9 hours ago, Bob MDC said:

The go to guy for Si-Fi or rocket stuff in the UK was Tony James one of the most colourful characters in the modeling business his company Comet Miniatures is now 

https://www.timeless-hobbies.com/

Bob

I have been ordering from Tony longer than I can recall, certainly pre-internet days (mid '80s) as TJ Models then Comet Miniatures - less so as Timeless Hobbies his latest company.

I don't recall he ever sold this kit, his main barra was/is sci-fi and second hand kits, he no longer sells secondhand kits that I can make out. As I mentioned up thread the only outlet I ever recall selling the Custom Miniatures (no relation to Comet Miniatures) V1 was Dorking Models, were there others?

It is strange I appear one of the few to recall this kit, my hopes diminished some time ago of snagging one again - but, thought it was worth an ask.

Zac.

Edited by Zac_Zolar

On 11/21/2020 at 2:19 PM, Zac_Zolar said:

Does anybody have any info on this kit?

I have a very vague recollection of seeing an article in the old "Scale Models" magazine about a very large scale V1 that had a detailed interior. I was very young so don't remember the specifics. 

If you want to super-sleuth, heres a Wikipedia on each issue of the magazine!

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/contents/scale-models-contents-listing-2.htm

1 hour ago, RadBaron said:

I have a very vague recollection of seeing an article in the old "Scale Models" magazine about a very large scale V1 that had a detailed interior. I was very young so don't remember the specifics. 

If you want to super-sleuth, heres a Wikipedia on each issue of the magazine!

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/contents/scale-models-contents-listing-2.htm

I believe you are right there was a brief article in Scale Models about the kit in question, that is what alerted me and piqued my interest in the kit in the 1st place. If memory serves there was a picture of a V1 and short section of launch ramp that was/is on display at Duxford to accompany the said article

Thanks for the link, when I get chance I'll have a trawl through it to see if its possible to a least get a date.

Ta.

Zac. 

Edited by Zac_Zolar

• 3 months later...

Gents,

Briefly, the kit was 1/16 scale and created by Phil Comber. This was his English firm's first release and appeared on the shelves in 1986.  It is a mixed media kit, basically a vacuform with white and tubular metal, plastic and other parts.  It is an excellent model, and given its large scale, parts are provided for almost all the craft's internal components.  Those interested in learning about the kit can refer to the very comprehensive article and review which appeared in the November 1986 issue of Scale Models International (Vol.17, No.205).

I did have a copy of the kit when it came out though donated it to a worthy cause many years ago. I am still torn about that as I would love to have a copy for our local aviation museum that has a real one on display. 

Best,

David