New, Incredible, Beautiful Tamiya Release Coming Soon; Anyone Know What it is?

11 hours ago, fastterry said:

The worst thing about wishing Tamiya would do a new LSP is that when it arrives it will be expensive. If they did a new P-38 it would be in Mosquito territory price-wise which is going to be North of AUD$300 which is bloody expensive. It's true that if you only bought one or two models a year you could justify the price but who does that? 

Actually, I do. I started my Mosquito last winter and am currently about 90% completed.  Best money I ever spent on a kit, worth every penny.  

12 hours ago, fastterry said:

The worst thing about wishing Tamiya would do a new LSP is that when it arrives it will be expensive. If they did a new P-38 it would be in Mosquito territory price-wise which is going to be North of AUD$300 which is bloody expensive. It's true that if you only bought one or two models a year you could justify the price but who does that? I managed to scrape together the readies to buy the Mk IX & VIII Spitfires, the birdcage Corsair and the P-51 when they were about AUD$130 but now the Korean and Pacific P-51's are AUD$200 which is starting to get too expensive for what they are. So careful what you wish for if you have a limited budget.

TRF

But there is a huge difference between price and value.  Tamiya might be more costly but they are great value.  You know with Tamiya  it will be pretty accurate, it will fit, the instructions will be well set out and comprehensive, you know that you can get a great result from what in the box without having to spend on aftermarket.  Above all you know it will be a joy and a treat to build start to finish.

OK you can get cheaper kits but cheap just is not the same as value.

Personally I would rather buy one Tamiya Mosquito for £138 (what I paid for that and the HKM Mossie at around the same time), than three Revell Mossies at £40-£50 each.  Its not just that you dont have to buy a/m with the Tamiya (although if you want to you can 'guild the lilly') it is the sheer pleasure gained to the build.

OK I accept that some people love to knock poor fitting or inaccurate kits into shape, thats fine too, all to their own.

15 hours ago, John1 said:

Actually, I do. I started my Mosquito last winter and am currently about 90% completed.  Best money I ever spent on a kit, worth every penny.  

That’s the way I look at my modelling money, I break it down into dollars per hour and it’s the cheapest hobby I’ve ever had!

edit - if I was a betting man I’d put money on the exciting new Tamiya kit being a 1/48th Whitman Tiger

Edited by Smokeyforgothispassword
2 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

If it's an upscale of a 1/48 model, that puts the Messerschmitt 109G and P-38H or G Lightening front and centre of the possibilities, as in the last two years, Tamiya have released highly acclaimed 1/48 models of each.  I'd have both in a heart beat.

Cheers,

Michael

Not forgetting the Spitfire Mk I: I'd have that and the P-38 for sure, and may even be tempted by the 109.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:52 AM, BarryWilliams said:

OK I accept that some people love to knock poor fitting or inaccurate kits into shape, thats fine too, all to their own.

Not when there's literally a tamiya quality kit availiable :D

Come on boys, only 5 pages worth? Speculate away!:D