Wingnut Wings Gotha - How Much?

MikeC

I think in all the years of attending model shows here in the UK and also in the EU, I have only ever seen 3 of these magnificent Gotha kits built so I assume far more will exist unbuilt still than have ever been built  - just like the old 'Monogram' 4 engine heavies in 1/48 which are notorious shelf sitters . The main issue here is the sheer amount of space needed to display it after it is built and so, I rather suspect that kits like this Gotha and the Felixstowe's etc. will, for the foreseeable future, just get exchanged between 'connoisseurs' like fine wines are. Moving forward, the main interest with mainstream modellers in second hand WNW kits will come with the small and iconic single seaters like the Camels, Albs, DVII and Se5a's etc. which will always enjoy a healthy demand and interest in the hobby and more importantly, actually get built.

As mentioned elsewhere of course in this thread, 99.999% of the rest of the population have no interest or idea in what these things ('toys' to them) are worth or their desirability within the hobby and I can only wonder in the years ahead how many will end up at charity shops donated by unwitting family members - or -  get snaffled up by the house clearance spiv with his rusty van telling your still grieving other half ..."I'm a fool to myself taking all these WNW kits off you Mrs X as kids are only interested in computers these days...but you seem a nice old lady so I shall tell you what i'll do; I will give you £50.00  if it helps you out so hows that sound?"

"What, £50.00 for just one of these WNW thingy kits?"

"No dear...THE WHOLE LOT OF THEM".

"errr...well, they are no good to me are they....Sold!"

Gary 

19 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Far from a new problem. Several years after the original Aurora monster kits were OOP, prices began to go through the roof, and remain high to this day.

IIRC

most of these were repoped recently therefore making the originals even more desirable.  I find that the rereleased kits are over priced. 

On 11/20/2020 at 11:58 AM, esarmstrong said:

Last year I picked up a WNW LVG VI at an estate sale for a dollar.  Ignorance can really be expensive.  

Was the kit one of the damaged stock kits? I bought one and it was perfect inside but looked beat up on the outside.  

19 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

Was the kit one of the damaged stock kits? I bought one and it was perfect inside but looked beat up on the outside.  

Perfect condition, inside and out.  The seller just had no idea what they had.  Completely ignorant.  They could have sold that kit for $150.00 to $200.00, pre WNW meltdown.

Edited by esarmstrong

50 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

Will the market drop out if Meng starts pressing kits with the WNW molds? I've noticed the the price of the Meng Dr. I is already dropping somewhat.

Thats a can ‘o worms! 
Or will the Meng Dr1s go up in value if they stop pressing them?