Wingnut Wings Gotha - How Much?

MikeC

I cant help but think the Gotha, in particular, is one of those kits that is such an enormous and daunting project that the vast majority of them will only ever be shuffled between people like this. Each new 'caretaker' will as a bit more aftermarket, then pass it on to the next person. Each seeing its value not as a kit, but an object of "limited" release whos value is only to those who see it in the same light as anything more than nicely shaped chunks of plastic. 

I imagine, in 10-20 years time, these kits will start showing up in estate sales completely untouched, and loaded with all the accessories, ready to be enjoyed the way Sir PJ intended :D

4 minutes ago, RadBaron said:

I cant help but think the Gotha, in particular, is one of those kits that is such an enormous and daunting project that the vast majority of them will only ever be shuffled between people like this. Each new 'caretaker' will as a bit more aftermarket, then pass it on to the next person. Each seeing its value not as a kit, but an object of "limited" release whos value is only to those who see it in the same light as anything more than nicely shaped chunks of plastic. 

I imagine, in 10-20 years time, these kits will start showing up in estate sales completely untouched, and loaded with all the accessories, ready to be enjoyed the way Sir PJ intended :D

Last year I picked up a WNW LVG VI at an estate sale for a dollar.  Ignorance can really be expensive.  

7 minutes ago, esarmstrong said:

Last year I picked up a WNW LVG VI at an estate sale for a dollar.  Ignorance can really be expensive.  

Ignorance, sure to a degree, but we modellers populate a very niche bubble. We're grown men who spend a LOT of time and money and thought on little bits of plastic. To us (and only us) some bits of plastic hold far more value than other pieces of plastic.

The other 99% of the population either think we're nuts, or accept without completely understanding. 

At very least, the seller of the Gotha is offloading it now, instead of succumbing to "the value is only going to go up" train of thought.

Edited by RadBaron

A lot of WNW kits are put on eBay with ridiculously overpriced reserves, particularly from the UK where they are downright obscene. 

I was looking for a Gotha and an Lvg well before WNW went belly up but even then the kits were - what I thought at the time - ridiculously expensive. The Gotha in particular is a cult item and has brought 350 or more for a good while now. 

Seem a crying shame when stuff becomes "collectable" or someones "investment opportunity" . I've seen it with several other of my hobbies, where people who probably have no real interest buy stuff up and sit on it only to jack the prices up . A quick look at the military vehicle market in the past 15-20 years shows how most things that the average Joe could buy back in the early 00's are now way out of reach , and just seem to be traded amongst "investors" .  Depressing that it's come to this hobby as well. Paid a $1000 buy for a kit ...? It will most likely never get built , but sold a few years later for more. 

26 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

Seem a crying shame when stuff becomes "collectable" or someones "investment opportunity" . I've seen it with several other of my hobbies, where people who probably have no real interest buy stuff up and sit on it only to jack the prices up . A quick look at the military vehicle market in the past 15-20 years shows how most things that the average Joe could buy back in the early 00's are now way out of reach , and just seem to be traded amongst "investors" . 

The downstream effect of this can be see in the automotive world. 

With the price of (what used to be) entry level cars rising to obscene heights due to "collectibility", you've got a generation of would be mechanics and enthusiasts priced out of the market. So they look at other cars (look at the rise of the tuning/import scene) or they don't pursue an interest in automobiles at all. 

And then cars just become appliances because you don't have any enthusiasts left. 

An extreme scenario for sure, and just because wingnut kits are expensive doesn't mean the hobby is going to die, but it's a detrimental mentality that really grinds my gears, especially when it comes to introducing people to trying something outside of their norm, and letting them learn new skills. 

*end rant*:D