"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

Thank you Steve! I’m glad and honored you find my build useful. I’ve learned so much from other builds here that it’s gratifying to be able to reciprocate, both what to emulate and what to avoid!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Gaz! I applied an extra thick coat to the interior color, hoping to add to the 3-D effect of the frames, and it turned out better than I expected. Glad to have this behind me!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks John! I certainly had an element of luck. Yes, between the excess heat affecting my airbrushing and travel plans (Kona next week then later an extended trip to Baja California), I live my modeling life vicariously these days! Hope you’re having a great summer.

Cheers,  Tom

• 5 months later...

How are you doing Tom? 

Like you it seems, I have dropped the baton on my Lancaster build but I am motivating myself to start in the new year by going over what i have done and looking at other such builds hence I am here on your page  . . . 

Any progress since the summer ?

best regards 

Ian

Thanks for coming by Ian! I have finished painting the fuselage camouflage colors and now just have to paint the underside of the wings. Then I can fire up the Silhouette printer to get the masks cut. I have no excuse now, just need to get motivated again!

Cheers,  Tom

• 2 weeks later...

"Our course took us eastward, straight towards the Ruhr. Düsseldorf, Krefeld, Essen, Hamm, Duisburg, Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund … any one of them could have been the target. Already, the Mossies were pitching in. Up to a hundred miles away they were sowing confusion and uncertainty. The German command centres would be swamped with reports of raids that did not exist. How they reacted, and where they dispatched their fighters, could make the difference between life and death for some of us."

Yates, Harry. Luck and a Lancaster (Airlife Classics) . Crowood. Kindle Edition.

It's been a while! I've made some progress lately, finishing the wing painting, painting and assembling the landing gear, and started painting the markings. My latest addition is the gloss coat on the forward nose section of the fuselage, a characteristic of 428 Squadron, which I painted with Tamiya X-22. The eagle-eyed among you will notice only one rudder assembly. That's because I misaligned the fin flashes--Not sure how I can get the wing roundels painted but muck up the flashes, but there you are. Until next time!

LU45rVe.jpg

eEThPih.jpg

0Ns3imt.jpg

NPjBkmc.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Dvn0R57.jpg

Thank you both. Here’s a photo of Sugar’s Blues sister ship after landing in Canada, the time frame I’m depicting. I posted this much earlier in the build, so you’re excused for not seeing it! Note also the thickness of the yellow surrounds on the fuselage roundel. Hoping this girl stands out!

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Thanks Maru! My Uncle was a different man.

He was actually with RAF Ferry Command and flew as a civilian flight engineer. Andy ("Kagemusha") has been instrumental in finding information:

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/detail/80001612

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/remembering-today-9-february-1943-the-crew-and-passengers-of-liberator-ii-al591.45508/

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/491413916/

His last flight was pretty harrowing: he and the crew crashed in a B-24 after running out of fuel in blizzard conditions on approach to the airfield near Gander, Newfoundland. I’m depicting Sugars Blues as she landed at that same airfield. Neverthless, I appreciate you following up with this!

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina