"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

1 hour ago, Greif8 said:

Outstanding work on the canopy Tom. I am interested to see your solution for the curtains. 

Ernest 

Thanks Ernest! Right now I'm thinking of aligning the curtains and rods and attaching them to each other first, then using a clear adhesive to attach them to their associated internal frames. Tiny contact points have me a little nervous!

1 hour ago, brahman104 said:

Super crisp, clean work on the canopy Tom!

Very nice indeed.

Craig

Thank you Craig! I used a combination of DN and Eduard masks. Removing them took a while with a toothpick! I'm really gratified that the internal frames actually look realistic in those areas where there's no external frame over them.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Thanks Wolf! Once we’re past the hot weather I’m looking forward to seeing her on the home stretch. In the meantime, I’ll work on what I can, which aside from the canopy will mean the turrets soon. I appreciate your support!

Cheers,  Tom

18 minutes ago, JayW said:

Good lord man - how many opportunities to screw up a canopy that complicated.  And it looks perfect.  I'd be a nervous wreck!  

Thank you Jay! I was definitely concerned with how it would turn out, and after weeks of wearing the masks with the hot weather coming I’m especially relieved that removing them wasn’t a gooey mess!

14 minutes ago, Bobs Buckles said:

Nice canopy work, Tom!

Very nice.

^_^

vB 

Thank you very much Sir Bob!

Cheers,  Tom

On 6/22/2021 at 5:44 PM, Uncarina said:

"In the midst of the shells S-Sugar’s past run of luck had seemed a flimsy guarantee. But as I flew westward a few feet above the white caps and the boys belted out some dirty ditty with unfettered joy and vigour, a more positive interpretation recommended itself. She had pulled it off again. The sixteenth motif would be added below my port window. And still she was invulnerable."

Yates, Harry. Luck and a Lancaster (Airlife Classics) . Crowood. Kindle Edition.

Yes it has been a long time since my last update, longer than I would like. There's a certain momentum each of us has with our builds, and mine has diminished considerably with the heat of summer. Currently it is too hot to airbrush a smooth finish, as the paint dries partially before it contacts the surface even with low pressure and holding the airbrush close. However, work continues! I've managed to remove the interior and exterior masks from the canopy (another necessity with the heat for vinyl masks; otherwise they can partially melt to the surface and be very difficult to remove). Anyway, I'm very pleased with the result, as the interior frames look the part to me! I still have to accentuate the rivet detail, but HK thoughtfully provided them, another nice surprise with this kit. After that, curtains for sure!

GM0hOvS.jpg

FK03Tpo.jpg

1LsGx9B.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Mission accomplished...

Well done Tom :goodjob:

Derek

On 6/22/2021 at 12:44 PM, Uncarina said:

"In the midst of the shells S-Sugar’s past run of luck had seemed a flimsy guarantee. But as I flew westward a few feet above the white caps and the boys belted out some dirty ditty with unfettered joy and vigour, a more positive interpretation recommended itself. She had pulled it off again. The sixteenth motif would be added below my port window. And still she was invulnerable."

Yates, Harry. Luck and a Lancaster (Airlife Classics) . Crowood. Kindle Edition.

Cheers,  Tom

Hi Tom,

Both the story and the build are inspirations. I’m very impressed by the precision of your canopy framing. You are getting much empathy for the airbrush troubles you mentioned from this quarter: I had a badly sputtering Paasche VL that took a fair bit of TLC to get running correctly recently. Your build and your finishing have become a reference point for when I break out my own Lancaster onto the bench. 

One thing I am certain of is that you’ll bring this build home in style. Well done so far!

Best regards,

Paul

Paul, it’s an honor for you to consider this a reference, and I appreciate your encouragement! I once had a Paasche VL, and feel your pain. After years of Azteks I decided to go with the cheap approach, which has mostly worked so far. I’m looking forward to seeing your build; it’ll be a beauty!

Cheers,  Tom