"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

On 12/28/2021 at 8:24 AM, Uncarina said:

Thanks Ernest! I’ve learned a lot along the way, both about my family history and this amazing aircraft.

Cheers,  Tom

That's what makes builds like this so special.   Really appreciate you taking the time to share the backstory behind this aircraft, in addition to all your research on the subject itself.  

John,

It’s genuinely my pleasure, and I’m very glad you’ve enjoyed this! What makes this forum so special for me is how we all share our builds and the research to support them. Your Mossie and current Phantom builds, for example.

Cheers,  Tom

”It always took an age over the target. If only time could keep pace with their racing hearts. ‘Steady, steady, steadee … bombs away.’ Q-Queenie jumped for joy as the heavy bombs flicked off. So intent had the men been on their bombing-run that they had not given more than a glance to the sky about them. This was the Ruhr. Naturally all hell would break loose. But now they turned to watch and what they saw made them think that they had blundered into a war of the stars. They sailed upon a sky of liquid lightning. Flashes and crashes surrounded them. They could smell flak in the smoke they flew through. Q-Queenie rocked and shuddered in the grips of blast and counter-blast from shells all around her. Pointless to try evasive action in this. Flak was everywhere. Straight and fast was the quickest way out. The war of the stars went on, intensified, filled all space. They seemed to be flying in the tail of a comet."

Ollis, Ray. 101 Nights . Wakefield Press. Kindle Edition.

I've completed adding the masked markings at last. The fuselage roundels alone took two hours to mask and paint, but I'm not complaining. I had to reapply the masks several times until they were lined up, and afterwards I used them for touch-ups. Much more forgiving than decals!

Image-381

Image-377

Image-372

Image-373

Image-371

Image-376

Image-369

I've been holding off adding the H2S antenna to the bottom of the fuselage to prevent damage, so next I'll focus on the turrets.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

7 hours ago, turbo said:

Just catching up on this Tom  - beautiful work and love the vignettes!

Kirby

I appreciate it Kirby! Every time I read through these books I’m amazed at what the crews went through.

7 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Really looking the business now, Tom!

Kev

Kev, thanks! She is taking shape at last, and takes up our entire kitchen counter. Since the Pima Air Museum isn’t taking models these days, she’ll just be coming out for special occasions when she’s completed!

Cheers,  Tom

I love the fact that all the fuselage windows have gone !

You see so many models of late wartime aircraft with them just painted over, Sugar looks the business

Well done Tom, you are on the final straight for home and she will be such a credit and tribute to those that went before us . . . . 

Ian

4 hours ago, Phil Smith said:

Impressive build!

Thank you Phil!

2 hours ago, Bomber Command nut said:

I love the fact that all the fuselage windows have gone !

You see so many models of late wartime aircraft with them just painted over, Sugar looks the business

Well done Tom, you are on the final straight for home and she will be such a credit and tribute to those that went before us . . . . 

Ian

Ian, I have you to thank for your advice, support, and encouragement along the way! Those windows: yes, a lot of work to make disappear just because there are so many of them, but we have to do her justice.

Cheers,  Tom