"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

23 hours ago, Uncarina said:

... almost all my airbrushing is done with a $22.00 salon nail-painting airbrush I picked up from E-bay.

Is it one of those mini-compressor models ?  I've been using one of those too.

• 2 weeks later...

“Behind the Perspex of the cockpit an incongruous, sleepy warmth remained from the heat of the day. Tubby and I ran through the checks. I started-up the four Merlins one by one, revving each for him to record oil pressure and magneto drop. When all was done I called up each crew member for the all clear on their individual checks. Archie sounded dry of mouth but I could rely on Bill to watch over him now. It was time to roll. I waved to the ground crew to remove the chocks. We taxied to our place in the queue, the newest kite, the proudest aircrew on the squadron.”

— Luck and a Lancaster: Chance and Survival in World War II (Airlife Classics) by Harry Yates

https://a.co/cH6jOjV

At last I've been able to paint the dorsal camouflage pattern, which consisted of feathering the edges after applying a hard masked pattern. Per MRP's advice I only lightly applied a wear-induced variation in the colors, and I still have to apply the gloss black forward section unique to 428 Squadron's Lancasters. After that and some touching up I'll address the underside of the wings and the small dorsal airfoil wing surface adjacent to the fuselage, then on to the markings!

Cheers,  Tom

n8oMac1.jpg

fHbAjms.jpg

r2PeTVw.jpg

20 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh my word, that is stunning!  Keep up the great work, absolutely loving this build!

Cheers Anthony

I’m very glad you like it Anthony, and I appreciate the encouragement! Now I have to dig out more quotes. :)

Cheers,  Tom

4 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Thanks Andy, I appreciate it! It took a long time to retrace each edge of the green, spraying at about 10-12 psi and at a 45 degree angle into the hard edge, and I still have a few touch-ups, but this seems to work better for me than Blutac under the masks.

Cheers,  Tom

I think you nailed the tight feathered edge. It’s very subtle even when you look close. Your method worked really well. 

Richard 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I am still working on Sugar’s Blues, but had to wait for a replacement airbrush. I jinxed the old one by writing how great it was, and hopefully the replacement works just as well. I also have a limited window for airbrushing, but should be back into it next week. Stay tuned!

Cheers,  Tom