"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

Thanks Dennis! You definitely made it easier by being the first! Since there’s a spare blister I would suggest using it to trace an outline for paint masking.  My DN Models and my Eduard mask sets both lack cutouts for the blister.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

7 hours ago, Uncarina said:

I first traced 2 outlines of the blister on Tamiya tape then cut out the shape and attached the tape to the appropriate pane, inside and out. After that it was applying the drill, and I have to admit my heart was beating just a little faster here. After this I used a Dremel to CAREFULLY cut out the shape, leaving a border for security. Finally I slowly filed away with frequent testfitting until I had a size that matched. The second tense moment was applying the Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, and I took my time. I'm happy to write that I am pleased with the results:

Absolutely amazing work Tom!

I have to admit, the last sentence in your post, that has to be the understatement of the year............:yahoo:

Cheers,

Wolf

7 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Absolutely amazing work Tom!

I have to admit, the last sentence in your post, that has to be the understatement of the year............:yahoo:

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf, thank you so very much! Considering the amazing work you routinely do, I’m flattered. And yes, “pleased” is an understatement!

4 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Excellent pictures Tom and nicely executed workmanship.

Regards.Andy 

Thanks very much Andy! I finally upgraded my camera from an I-Phone 6 to an 11pro. I’m pretty happy so far, since it’s been frustrating trying to share a visual history with a blurry camera.

4 hours ago, dennismcc said:

That is a really great job, clear parts scare the life out of me just fitting them so that mod would definately be out of bounds for me.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis, I thought about it a long time, and it was almost, almost a coin toss!

Cheers,  Tom

Hi Tom,

Just a quick note to say that I have spent a couple of days reading your post whilst painting my P51. What an outstanding build, can I ask are the wings glued on or are they lose for removal and transport, can't wait to see her finished. Great work sir.

Edited by Nighthawk Calling 1

5 hours ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Hi Tom,

Just a quick note to say that I have spent a couple of days reading your post whilst painting my P51. What an outstanding build, can I ask are the wings glued on or are they lose for removal and transport, can't wait to see her finished. Great work sir.

Thank you very much! Since she is SO big, removeable wings are the only way to go for me, and due to HKModel’s excellent engineering they fit securely and with no gaps.

1 hour ago, JayW said:

Yeah Tom - that blister mod came out really great.  Like, perfect.

Thanks Jay! It has been by far the most intense part of the build so far, and I had a far bit of luck (and patience) to see it through.

Cheers,  Tom

Stellar work as usual Tom! Very gutsy alteration on the blister especially. Fooling around with clear parts scares the crap out of me, you've done it so cleanly. 

And excellent catch on the repainted roundels for the flight home to Canada! I've seen those photos before, and just assumed it was white flare on the photo. Looking closely it's clear they were repainted with wider white circles. I love learning new stuff through someone else's builds...both kit building ideas and history. 

Richard

Thanks very much Richard! I figure this will give her a more distinctive look: war-weary and weathered after 22 missions but with those roundels freshly painted. Looking close, it appears that there might be a slight variation in fuselage roundels from aircraft to aircraft, but I’ll be going with the one seen on NA F. I appreciate your support.

Cheers,  Tom

I hope to pick your brains on what I see on the starboard fuselage in this photo:

X67eF67.jpg

It appears to me like the names applied were those of the flight and/or ground crew.  Do you agree or think they are just graffiti?

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Very impressive work on the canopy Tom, I love to see well considered and executed mods like that.

The picture above is interesting, impossible to prove but the positions of the names correspond to those of the navigator, engineer and bomb-aimer so it’s quite plausible. I wonder if other pics exist of the port side anywhere?