"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

1 hour ago, bdthoresen said:

I have recently been toying with the idea of acquiring some black styrene sheet from Evergreen, and cutting my own strips to try bonding it inside clear parts. I see it’s available in .030” thickness. I figured it might be worth a shot in trying to avoid the normal white plastic visibilty.

Great work on this bird. Please keep the updates coming.....

THOR    :ph34r:

Thank you Thor! That’s a great idea. My thinking was to pre-paint the frames before attaching them, but your plan certainly saves a step.

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you! I think I can still weasel that one in there.

I successfully installed all the frames this morning, and will work on sanding out the "offending" exterior frames next. Then, I'm gonna build me some blackout curtains! Best part is, I won't know if I was successful at all until after the masks are removed. The suspense will likely make my palms sweaty.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

“Clear of the target Hyde turned north-west for home. A loud, rapid order shouted in their earphones. ‘Corkscrew port, go!’ Hyde slammed the stick forward, jammed on left rudder and dropped the port wing. The Lancaster lurched downwards and Vincent’s instruments floated up off his desk as he scrambled to catch them. ‘Up!’ shouted the voice. The men were anchored to their seats and the floating navigation instruments crashed to the floor as the heavy aircraft, mercifully free of her bomb load, strained out of her dive. Tracer shells zipped under the starboard wing and a new vibration shook her as two machine-gun turrets returned fire at a rate of over a hundred bullets a second. Cordite fumes filled the fuselage, penetrating into their oxygen masks. ‘Up starb’d!’ ordered the gunner. Grinding around in tight turns trying to bring his own guns to bear, the fighter followed. Q-Queenie’s antics made shooting difficult for fighter and bomber alike, but for just an instant the Hun was steady in Joe’s sights. Joe squeezed his buttons and the exchange was switched on again. ‘Dive starb’d!’ A sickening, empty lurch and again the Lancaster plunged down, chasing its wingtip. The firing stopped. ‘I think we’ve lost him, skip.’ The bomber eased back on course.”

— 101 Nights by Ray Ollis

https://a.co/h2JIJM6

I've been slowly but steadily working on the wings and engine nacelles, making modifications to appearance, and occasionally fit. An example of the latter is the fit of the wheel bays to the wings, which is the first time in this build (which is saying a lot) that I've had a really poor fit:

ZeD65jX.jpg

fDmFzka.jpg

The top of the wheel bay is too thick, preventing the nacelle to fit properly, especially at the front. I had to use my Dremel tool to sand it to half of its thickness, which you can see at the top of the photo:

1tb3QHd.jpg

This makes all of the difference:

uwu67k5.jpg

3Qz3fJM.jpg

Now back to the regularly scheduled build. I've almost finished with the nacelles, and that means the wings will be completed hopefully soon, another big milestone. I've decided to have the flaps dropped, as seen when the 428 Squadron Lancasters were parked at Scoudouc, New Brunswick, awaiting proposed upgrades for Tiger Force.

pmvBfPw.jpg

(photo by Ray Wise)

Would the interior of the flap/flap wells for Mk. X Lancasters be interior grey-green or black?

Until next time!  Cheers,  Tom

4 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Would the interior of the flap/flap wells for Mk. X Lancasters be interior grey-green or black?

Until next time!  Cheers,  Tom

Hi Tom, awesome build mate.  Black, from what I researched this many years ago, at least in this scheme