"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

Good luck Dennis (and Tom), you may well be the vanguard forging the way ahead here! (I am hopeful for you that the actual thickness of the transparencies will not reveal the interior white of the plastic stock which you have secured to it).

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Good luck with that Dennis . . .

I think what you are taking on is a first with the elimination of the external framework . . .

On my Tamiya Lanc I built up the internal framework for the canopy but didn't realize back then that there was/would have been, sections of the external frame 'missing' so its great that forums like this bring new evidence to the forefront as modellers strive for new ideas  . . . .

Tamiya-Lancaster-175.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out  . . .

Ian

Just got back from some time in the mountains, and thanks for keeping the creative juices flowing! Dennis, I admire your courage and skill! I had actually thought of the same tactic, but pre-bending the frames and using Future as an adhesive.

In any case, that’ll be further down the road for me, as well as the starboard blister. Just wanted to open this Pandora’s box.

Cheers,  Tom

I did much the same on my 110 G-4 conversion, I pre bent the internal framing before fixing in place on the Vac canopy.

20180426_165151.jpg

As Derek B mentioned earlier you need to be really careful not to allow the white plastic to show through and hard as I tried this happened a little bit which was annoying 

20181229_142108.jpg

Its a difficult thing to pull off correctly but worth the effort I think.

Regards  Andy 

I'm going to play with it more tomorrow morning... I'll be sure to post in my own thread in the coming days. Here's to hoping!

Tom, are you planning on adding the blackout curtains inside the canopy? I'm kicking around adding them in mine. I feel like they would be pretty prominent.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

13 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Dennis, indeed I am, as well as the vertical curtains that are at the rear of the cockpit in front of the navigators desk.

Tom, do you have a photo of the vertical curtain setup? First I'm hearing of this, and I haven't noticed it in any photos. I'd certainly like to add it!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

I have recently been toying with the idea of acquiring some black styrene sheet from Evergreen, and cutting my own strips to try bonding it inside clear parts. I see it’s available in .030” thickness. I figured it might be worth a shot in trying to avoid the normal white plastic visibilty.

Great work on this bird. Please keep the updates coming.....

THOR    :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Dennis7423 said:

Tom, do you have a photo of the vertical curtain setup? First I'm hearing of this, and I haven't noticed it in any photos. I'd certainly like to add it!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Dennis, the photo I have is from the Squadron walk-around, and I will post it later this morning.

Cheers,  Tom