"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

5 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Especially with this large a subject!

Cheers,  Tom

Yep definitely Tom, one thing that I really like to get right on a build and spend a lot of time studying before I reach for the airbrush is exhaust staining and the aerodynamic patterns that are forned.

20190101_104148.jpg

20190101_104152.jpg

20160715-215300-001.jpg

Regards. Andy 

On 11/21/2020 at 3:43 PM, R Palimaka said:

This is going to be a wonderful tribute, regardless of the different aircraft type, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. The Lancaster is such a magnificent aircraft, and we are lucky here in Ontario to have a flying example within a few hours drive. The sight of her taking off is breathtaking...and that sound! It always moves me to see how silent the crowds get when she goes to power to take off. I'm not in Hamilton as often with COVID, but I work with the Museum and will be there a couple times over the next month. If I can help let me know. 

jc5rDcVh.jpg

Richard

I was lucky to fly in her, myself and a squadron mate charged her batteries when she visited our base for an airshow. He slipped and fell bringing the batteries back from the battery shop. He cracked his skull pretty good. I benefited by getting a thank-you flight during the flypast in the airshow.

49 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo said:

I was lucky to fly in her, myself and a squadron mate charged her batteries when she visited our base for an airshow. He slipped and fell bringing the batteries back from the battery shop. He cracked his skull pretty good. I benefited by getting a thank-you flight during the flypast in the airshow.

That must have been an awesome experience!

Cheers,  Tom

I’m glad you like the build Alan, hope to share some progress soon! That is some great exhaust staining, and credit goes to Andy for sharing his work. When I get to that stage I will be paying close attention, since this is such a prominent feature of the Lancaster.

Cheers,  Tom

“As they climbed the short ladder into the plane, the crew were greeted by the familiar musty smell–a mixture of oil, metal and damp canvas. The main door lay at the rear so, apart from the tail and mid-upper gunners, airmen had to clamber over the wing spar, which passed through the fuselage. Before the crew commenced the pre-flight checks there were rituals to perform. Some boarded as quickly as possible, others adhered to superstitions like walking around the aircraft, patting the panels or urinating against a wheel. Survival was a matter of luck, not character. Good people died with the same frequency as those who were considered less so. Ken Cook recalls that everyone had a lucky charm or tradition.”

— The Crew: The Story of a Lancaster Bomber Crew by David Price

https://a.co/b4fQ75T

While waiting for the styrene stock that I need to scratchbuild the crew cabin vent to arrive, I proceeded to the wings. Like many of you, I prefer to build my models with as much of the lines of the aircraft intact as possible. With this in mind, I won't be displaying the engines. "How do you do this while making sure all of the cowling and nacelle pieces line up?" Well, fortunately HK makes it easier for you with Sprue Z, which contains parts that allow the exhaust stubs to be attached directly to the cowling instead of the engine. This is NOT mentioned in the instructions. Thanks to Ian and others who have pointed this out. For the rest, I managed to figure out how to omit the engine from the nacelle. I'll use the starboard outer as an example. The only engine components you'll need are:

1) Y15 propeller shaft. Attach this to K43 the nacelle front.

2) Y4 forward radiator face. Attach this to H8 the lower cowling. This will be the trickiest part to line up, but I'd suggest adding styrene spacers to help.

3) K11 firewall. Attach this to G11 and G12 the rear nacelle halves. This will be critical to help line up the cowling sections.

I assembled everything and the fit was surprisingly good, with just a touch of Waterfiller putty added even if it isn't necessary:

jJH1rbI.jpg

u5gbwd0.jpg

wQA1PS3.jpg

The last photo shows the parts needed if you are not building the engine. The current plan is to assemble each nacelle but leave the top cowling piece separate, so I can add the Eduard radiator face after the lower camouflage has been painted. One last thing: be sure to attach K47 to the inside of the wing corresponding to the outer nacelle. It really helps flex the wing into position, making it easier to get a better fit for the wingtip. Until next time!

Cheers, Tom