"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

“I called out, ‘This is it, boys. Here we go.’ In full fury P-Peter surged down the runway. Beautiful, beautiful thing though she was, she still swung to port like every Lanc I ever flew. I advanced the port outer throttle to keep her straight, and then progessive right rudder. But she was past the renowned point of no return soon enough and asking me to pull back the column. Then we were riding the air and on our way.”

— Luck and a Lancaster: Chance and Survival in World War II (Airlife Classics) by Harry Yates https://a.co/3IkCBJK

Putting the finishing touches on the Martin turret. The final challenge for me was adding the metal strip that bordered the fairing, and in the end I used the adhesive-backed copper foil used for soldering:

XVQAhLB.jpg

6ZGk0Rp.jpg

GE6pAYI.jpg

I'm rather happy with how it turned out, so I can move on! Moving forward, take a look at this photo of Sugar's Blues sister ship:

Dvn0R57.jpg

Several things to note:

1) fin flash on both sides of the rudder;

2) the wing roundels;

3) the gloss black panels on both sides of the forward fuselage;

4) some kind of bulge above the starboard wing root--any idea what this is, and would it also be on Sugar's Blues?

And to finish off today's update, another photo from my Uncle Ivan:

WCE5fkq.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Tom

To answer your questions:

It was usual to carry the rudder insignia marking on both sides of them

I suspect that the main wing roundels have had a large white circle added and emanating from the centre red.

The thing on the starboard side above the wing root is the new cabin air intake, I believe the very same thing is on 'Vera'

Most Canadian Lancasters had a FULL gloss nose section, quite common on that particular production batch.

I love what you have done with the new mid-upper gun turret position. The copper strip is a great use and it could double up as a masking tape used around actual turret fairing. Its really coming together nicely I must say  . . .

rgds

Ian

Edited by Bomber Command nut

8 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Okay, what is that plane in the last picture?  Definitely never seen anything like it before.

Matt 

Might be a Fokker F.25 Promoter, but some of the details appear different.

Cheers,  Tom

4 hours ago, Bomber Command nut said:

Tom

To answer your questions:

It was usual to carry the rudder insignia marking on both sides of them

I suspect that the main wing roundels have had a large white circle added and emanating from the centre red.

The thing on the starboard side above the wing root is the new cabin air intake, I believe the very same thing is on 'Vera'

Most Canadian Lancasters had a FULL gloss nose section, quite common on that particular production batch.

I love what you have done with the new mid-upper gun turret position. The copper strip is a great use and it could double up as a masking tape used around actual turret fairing. Its really coming together nicely I must say  . . .

rgds

Ian

Thanks Ian! I’m glad you like the work I’ve done on this. For the cabin air intake, do you know of any reference photos, and should I be adding it to Sugar’s Blues? I appreciate your help.

Cheers,  Tom

44 minutes ago, Bomber Command nut said:

Vera carries it in position and I would say that Sugar carried it as it was a mod. introduced in '45

Canuck-Lanc-Kirmington-19-08-14-011.jpg

I hope this helps Kai 

cheers, Ian

Ian, thank you! It is helpful indeed, and I managed to find photos of the intake as well.

Cheers,  Tom

Just note how 'dirty' the aircraft looks with the paint work being patchy in appearance and also interesting is the letter 'N' is in the process

of a re-paint or being made smaller ??

Great photos like this make modelling a challenge to get it right  . . . .

Ian