"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

This is going to be a wonderful tribute, regardless of the different aircraft type, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. The Lancaster is such a magnificent aircraft, and we are lucky here in Ontario to have a flying example within a few hours drive. The sight of her taking off is breathtaking...and that sound! It always moves me to see how silent the crowds get when she goes to power to take off. I'm not in Hamilton as often with COVID, but I work with the Museum and will be there a couple times over the next month. If I can help let me know. 

jc5rDcVh.jpg

Richard

Jari, Maru, Richard, 

Thank you! I have been overwhelmed by the generous support given by everyone since I’ve started this thread. Jari, that latest pic is particularly useful since it shows the top turret, H2S, and markings. Richard, thanks for your kind offer—I might take you up on this at some point.

Cheers,  Tom

“Somehow, suddenly, the men did not feel tired. At debriefing nobody is. There is the excitement of another trip finished safely. The reaction after hours of comparative silence. There is so much to remember and discuss. ‘Who blew up over the North Sea?’ ‘Looked like a Lanc.’ ‘We had six combats. Six!’ ‘Anyone missing?’ ‘The natives, my dear chap, were positively hostile.’ ‘… a ginormous explosion.’ ‘I believe Willard bought it.’ ‘Six combats!’ ‘Who got that Ju 88?’ ‘… fantabulous …’ ‘… coned over Bonn.’ ‘Target was a shambles.’ ‘Shhh!’ ‘Who blew up over the North firkin Sea?’ The men queued for coffee and biscuits and their tot of rum. They were excited and talkative; most of them were really only boys. The rum would make them talk even more. That was just what the intelligence officers wanted.”

— 101 Nights by Ray Ollis

https://a.co/5X3e9xu

I've been steadily adding some refinements to the cockpit, scratchbuilt the instrument panel support tower (which is not yet attached so I can modify the instrument panel later), and added rivets to the control yoke:

YQqqFmq.jpg

O6FoT8k.jpg

f1LDcuF.jpg

Bo5Ip3R.jpg

After this I expect the level of scratchbuilding to taper off, and look forward to finishing the rest of the cockpit assembly. Thanks for your support!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

18 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Thanks Maru! It's a great perspective photo. Interesting that there are two control yokes here.

Cheers, Tom

This is probably the BoB Lanc.  Wartime Lancs didn't have a second pilot nor control yoke, they had a flight engineer instead sitting to the pilot's right and just aft on a fold-away seat.  In emergencies he was often the "nominated" chap to take over from the pilot.