"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

Tom if you plan on adding a bomb load to your project, this site gives info on the number and type of bombs as well as where they were loaded in the bay:

Bomb Aimer's Briefing

No 428 Squadron listing but it gives you a general idea how they were loaded also some will also indicate how much Window (Chaff), normally loaded in the Bomb Aimer's compartment,  and Nickels (propaganda leaflets) was in the a/c as well.

Jari 

I owe an enormous debt of gratitude to Andy (Kagemusha). Thanks to his dedication to researching my Uncle he was able to tell me more about him than I had learned over many years. Uncle Ivan Wilmot Wilson was actually a flight engineer aboard a B-24 that went down in a blizzard due to a fuel shortage. More details here: http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/remembering-today-9-february-1943-the-crew-and-passengers-of-liberator-ii-al591.45508/

I will still dedicate this build to him to honor his service, albeit indirectly.

Sincerely,  Tom

There is another Canadian, James Ivan Wilson, he served with 166 squadron and was killed in action on 20 October 1943 flying Lancasters, he hailed from Hamilton Ontario.  He is buried in the Berlin War Cemetery. His service number was R/186325.  If your uncle was actually in the RCAF, this has to be him because it seems the other chap Ivan Wilmot Wilson was a civilian?

AXOpW7.png

Edited by mozart

Max, thanks for posting this. Andy had actually alerted me to him as well, but I confirmed my Uncle was actually a civilian flight engineer with RAF Ferry Command. I’ve learned more about him in the last day than I have in a lifetime previously.

Sincerely,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

16 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Dennis, thanks for posting this. Andy had actually alerted me to him as well, but I confirmed my Uncle was actually a civilian flight engineer with RAF Ferry Command. I’ve learned more about him in the last day than I have in a lifetime previously.

Sincerely,  Tom

I posted it actually Tom, shame it wasn’t the Lancaster man because he was a mid upper gunner and gave a very good account of himself when under the fatal attack by the nightfighter. 
Cheers! 

1 minute ago, MARU5137 said:

Tom 

I think your chosen subject to pay tribute to your Uncle

is truly a poignant  way to show his Service.

Looking Forward to this build.

Super start.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:   :bow:

Thank you Maru! It’s great to have you aboard.

Cheers,  Tom