Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-232 Red Devils

AlbertD

This one is finally finished. It was a really good learning experience with plenty of firsts for me. The kit is overall really nice with some exceptions. In general the fit is good and would build up into a nice model from the box but we modelers have a hard time leaving well enough alone. The weakest spots I see are the kit intakes, canopies and engines. This one has an Aires cockpit set, GT intakes, Eduard Brassen engines and weapons, AOA decals and probably a couple of things I'm forgetting. Most of the painting is done with MRP and oils for weathering. This is by far the biggest modeling project I have taken on and it gives me confidence to tackle other big projects. I had a bunch of help from many people on the forum who I thank very much.

Phinished-Phantom-1.jpg

Phinished-Phantom-11.jpg

Phinished-Phantom-10.jpg

Phinished-Phantom-3.jpg

Phinished-Phantom-5.jpg

Phinished-Phantom-18.jpg

Phinished-Phantom-13.jpg

Phinished-Phantom-14.jpg

Phinished-Phantom-8.jpg

Edited by AlbertD
Added link to build

Thoroughly enjoyed this build from start to finish!

You have done a masterful job and one to be very proud, you showed us some great pointers along the way which will (and have already) be a great help on my Brit Phantom build.

Well done Al, I would be hugely proud of that.  I bet it looks imposing and impressive in real life as it is a BIG aeroplane.  The fuselage is as big as my 24th Mosquito fuselage!

Cheers

Anthony

3 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this build from start to finish!

You have done a masterful job and one to be very proud, you showed us some great pointers along the way which will (and have already) be a great help on my Brit Phantom build.

Well done Al, I would be hugely proud of that.  I bet it looks imposing and impressive in real life as it is a BIG aeroplane.  The fuselage is as big as my 24th Mosquito fuselage!

Cheers

Anthony

I had plenty of help from you all on the forum. It gave me plenty of new things to try and build skills on. Its far from perfect but I'm happy with it. It is a big model and will be displayed with my next build, a Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair also in USMC markings. I started on a 1/48 version of the Corsair to learn chipping and salt weathering. As soon as that one is done I'll start on the big one. I will probably do a build log for that too. Unless of course you guys have seen enough Corsairs.

Your Brit Phantom is of a much higher level than mine. I used a bunch of aftermarket which needed fitting but nowhere near as involved and challenging as you build with extensive modifications. I'm not sure I have the patience to go that far.