The depths of dispare

mhorina

Short tale, after 40 years of building 48th scale aircraft kits with about 50 finished kits on the shelfs along came my dream kits. 32nd scale kits started to arrive  as did this site ,how to build them and discuss these kits. I'm  one of the earliest members of this site . 

Build them or sell them ? Some time you don't get a chance to do what you want. After retiring with home paid for .Children all married,Grandchildren going to collage I thought I'd be able to go to the stash and just build and buy anything I wanted. I did for  13 years. then early onset dementia and alzheimer's ruined my plans. Not everyone gets to be happy.Only trying to be happy. I don't like to sell from my stash but ,as my wife told me,sell what you can. The kids love you they won't have to threw that many away. mhorina

Mike Horina

Im sorry to hear that Mike.  Dementia IMHO is one of the cruelest diseases there is, because it takes memory, life and personality away, not just for the sufferer, but for those that love them. 
Its a cruel, horrible disease and really wish they had an outright cure.

Hi Mike,

So sorry to read this.  With dementia and alzheimer's it robs not just the person but the family too.  It sounds like you've got a good support happening from your wife.  So just build what you can, and if you forget what you started today tomorrow's discovery will be like a "New Find".

Good Luck and Best Wishes,

Michael

That breaks my heart Mike, I've been caring for my mum for the past seven years or so, not had a break for six, but it is what it is and you deal with what's in front of you. 

Don't do anything that distresses you, make a list of the value of your kits if you must and where to sell them, but keep hold of what makes you happy it will benefit you. Mood/environment is important with the condition, as is keeping the mind occupied. 

I don't know what it's like where you are, but if you can, get a social worker. 

Take care, 

Andy 

Sad news indeed, but if I can offer any advice I'd say keep on building for as long as you can. Keeping your mind active not only helps you maintain key skills, it also gives you motivation to get through the bad days.

I introduced someone with PTSD to modelling and it's been a discovery for him. As he says, the simple act of sticking pieces of plastic together eases the mind.

44 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

My Dad had dementia, so I can sympathise with you situation. I wish you all the best in the future - I hope things go as well as possible for you.

Chris.  

Mine too. Rough days those were for us too, though very fortunately, dad seemed happy enough.

48 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

My Dad had dementia, so I can sympathise with you situation. I wish you all the best in the future - I hope things go as well as possible for you.

Chris.  

3 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Mine too. Rough days those were for us too, though very fortunately, dad seemed happy enough.

Mine too. Dad passed back in 2017. It was utterly heartbreaking.  I think its just as tough if not tougher on the family members, as was stated, it rips life away from all those involved.

Keeping busy and the mind occupied seems to help a great deal, along with reminder signs around the house.   

Dictate your personal history and remembrances of family now. Record it on your phone or have your children or wife or someone do it on their phone in video or on a voice recorder. Do it NOW. They will appreciate your memories while you still have them and your great grandchildren will know who you are, even if you forget yourself. I was too late recording with a good friend and his stroke robbed him of too many memories to share.

Keep building. My father in law built the real thing in WWII (B-24s at San Diego) and then repaired just about every Navy plane while stationed on a small island in the middle of the Pacific. He started building those planes again after a stroke when he couldn't hardly hold them, but the general shape matched his memories. Those old memories are the last to go, so find joy in them.

I wish and pray for the best for you,

Tnarg

I've been living with Alzheimer's for the past 9 years, my mother in law, not me.  She was an incredible person, so talented in so many ways, travelled the world with her husband but also gave back to society with charitable work.  We've been through the confused (and often funny) stage, the angry, short tempered, violent reaction stage and now the "happy place" almost vegetative stage.  Heart-breaking, but I so enjoy going to see her because, though she doesn't know us and can't string two words together, she takes delight in our company with her ready smile and her incomprehensible chatter.

Make the most of your life Mike, there's a lot of very sound advice in this thread.