Quinta Studio Vinyl “Decals”

Rick Griewski

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2020/11/construction-review-qunita-studio.html?m=1

IIRC there was another thread about the same or similar product.  I apologize for duplicates. 

I for one am excited about these things.  I want for my jets: Harrier, F-15E, Sabre Jet,  Hawker Hunter, BAC Lightning, and the new Tornado.

That said I need to buy one set of course. I want to see the instrument dials up close. 

Rick

Wow!  Amazing what people can do given enough technology.  But like the guy in the movie said, are we too busy wondering if we could to ask if we should.  At what point does what we do depart from acquired skills and artistry to become drone-like assembly of prefinished parts?  At what point do models we profess to build become not our models at all?

3 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Wow!  Amazing what people can do given enough technology.  But like the guy in the movie said, are we too busy wondering if we could to ask if we should.  At what point does what we do depart from acquired skills and artistry to become drone-like assembly of prefinished parts?  At what point do models we profess to build become not our models at all?

They never become “not your model”.  These are aftermarket items that people can choose to buy and use, or not.  “Your model” is what you choose to put into it.

Edited by Dave Williams

You could say that by adding resin wheels or brass gun barrels, we're "cheating", but I just see the AM stuff as additional enhancements that the modeler may or my not choose to use. X-Acto knives and sandpaper/putty are not cheating either, just tools to ease modeling tasks and improve overall appearance.

Please don't go down the road of what is or is not in building a plastic kit, I can remember the heated and in cases very heated debate on what constitutes a plastic kit conversion with the IPMS (UK) in the description of kit conversions in the National Championships with the advent of resin and metal.

As always common sense won the day and we now have perfectly sound guidelines to work with.

My two pennyworth I see not difference to the cockpits we made 15 years ago to these they just have better tech than me "damm if I was a few years younger "

Bob

I just got a 1/48 P-51D set yesterday. I wanted to see how they looked and if I would want to use them. The best thing I see about them is they are much more 3-D then PE sets. I'll use the set and see how it looks in the cockpit but to my eye they look darn nice. The price is not too bad either and they are planning on making more sets. I asked them if they had plans for a Corsair and they said they were on the list.

Really looking forward to trying either these or the red fox studio ones

and yes please lets not go down the road of the multipage debate last time these where posted here not too long ago

I'm really looking forward to trying some too!

I'll try any aids to building a better model. It's not a 'cheat' unless you take a pride in purely using what comes inside the kit box, or scratch-building.

Modellers once had concerns about photo-etch being cheating, and resin detail parts, and relief printed surface detail decals, and turned brass barrels - but now they've become a norm.

Actually - modellers in the '50's and '60's once looked at plastic kits as cheating - and now look where we are! :yahoo:

To me a model is about the research, the history and the subject I'm trying to portray.

That journey starts in my imagination and, occasionally, results in a finished model.

I'll take anything that aids that journey, but a good model is more than the sum of it's parts - it's still down to the modeller to capture the essence of something. And capture it well, or not.

One aftermarket accessory does not maketh a model; the builder does IMHO.  :)

Iain

(off to 'cheat' with some more of that new fangled 3D Print malarky)

7 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Ah, well.  Was just thinking out loud.  I respectfully withdraw the question, if that’s possible.  And for the record, I never used or implied the word “cheat.” 

Nooo - it was an excellent and hugely topical thought!  :)

I probably shouldn't have used the term 'cheat' in this thread - but I have seen it used elsewhere...

I had no intention of implying anything - my bad!

Iain

On 11/19/2020 at 3:57 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

Bravo, very well said. I used a pre-finished Eduard ‘Look’ panel in my BF-108 that I just finished and felt that it actually detracted from the modelling experience. No skills necessary which is sad really.

Edited by ericg