P-51D Dixie Boy

Out2gtcha

I just found these pics today, as I found a "Photobucket Transition" folder today with ALL of my PB pics in it including Dixie Boy...............

This was a 1/32nd Hasegawa P-51D that I re-scribed and fully foiled and polished for one of my first customers (Fred) who was an active member on LSP many years ago. It was also my first polished foil job, as well as one of my first foil projects overall, so things are a bit rough in places. Dixie Boy was a civilian P-51D that was owned by a millionaire friend of Freds who had initially requested the model and when hearing my price (IIRC I think it was in the $400 range which is WAY low for a polished foil project IMHO but hey ho) immediately found it to be WAY too steep and refused the commission. Fred thought it was a very fair price, and he then ordered the commission  himself. I've attempted to contact Fred a couple times over the years, but no luck. I always wondered what happened to him or how DB was.

Still though, for one of my earliest projects, turned out just fine. You'll have to excuse the intense sun and reflections in the pics, it was murder trying to photograph all that polished metal, and this was prior to my photo booth.

The 1:1:

P-51DDB1-L.jpg

P-51DDB4-L.jpg

WIP_DB_DOC_4-XL.jpg

DixieBoy-1-L.jpg

A couple foiling in progress shots:

WIP_DB_166-XL.jpg

WIP_DB_144-XL.jpg

Forgive the blue hue, as my camera was on the fritz in the hot weather we were having at the time

WIP_DB_154-XL.jpg

WIP_DB_180-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_25-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_24-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_23-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_22-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_21-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_20-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_19-XL.jpg

The rear fuel tank and apparatus were removed to make way for a scratched jump seat like the 1:1:

DB_RFI_18-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_17-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_16-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_15-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_13-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_11-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_2-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_14-XL.jpg

DB_RFI_3-XL.jpg

Cheers! 

Brian,

Love it!  I'm glad that you finally presented it to us.  My first foiled aircraft was a razorback in that same livery.  How did you go about masking over the foil to avoid foil lift.  And as Trak Tor said...  those first four look real!  I believe that is the greatest compliment we modellers can ever receive.

Gaz

5 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I do remember it, still looks great, what was Fred's LSP moniker, Tally Ho?

Yep!  I have sent him a PM a couple times, but no response. He has not posted anything since 2011, and has not logged onto the site in 4 years. I have a feeling something bad happened to him, or he simply got out of the hobby entirely. 

On 11/23/2020 at 3:43 AM, MARU5137 said:

You? really? No!

you're not like that  but I KNOW  what you mean. 

its MY FAVORITE.  :wub:

hey Will.I Am hope you are well.

:wicked:

Just getting back on my feet Maru...I'm going to be fine.Thanks for that.:wub:

Edited by williamj