1/32 Revell Me 262B-1/U1 Nachtjager

Thunnus

Awesome reference photos everyone! Thank you!

My first attempt at weathering the drop tanks.  I tried a 2-layer chipping technique with lightened RLM 76 blue over silver and then black over the RLM 76.  It didn't quite capture the effect that I was seeing the photos of Red 10.

IMG-1147.jpg

Drop tank weathering attempt #2...

IMG-1153.jpg

IMG-1151.jpg

IMG-1152.jpg

I abandoned the two-layer chipping and went with black over lightened RLM 76.  Varied the paint thickness and hairspray application to emphasize removals from the front of the tanks.  Difficult to replicate the exact wear patterns but I think this attempt gives a more authentic depiction.

Thanks Matt!  There will be a bit of detail painting and some additional weathering to be performed on the drop tanks but I am done with the hairspray chipping on the tanks.

I decided to start the mottling today. Mr Hobby Aqueous RLM 76 and White at a 2:1 ratio will be the paint mix.  There is no clear photo of the mottle pattern on top of the wings so I just started freehanding it, trying to consciously create mottle shapes with the dark background.
IMG-1155.jpg

My the time I got to the port engine nacelle's I started to loosen up a bit and not be so pre-deterministic about the mottle shapes.
IMG-1157.jpg

I carefully sprayed the light color around the decals.  The red "10" has been protected by a mask to avoid excess overspray.
IMG-1159.jpg

IMG-1161.jpg

The use of the mask to protect the "10" ended up biting me back as it took out a little chunk of red.  A delicate repair operation ahead.
IMG-1164.jpg

IMG-1166.jpg

I decided to take a pause at this point and take a look at my work.  I'm not going to try and exactly match the archive photos but there are some noticeable features that I'll try to capture including the visible overspray on the port "10".
IMG-1167.jpg

IMG-1168.jpg

IMG-1169.jpg

Due to the controlled nature of the mottle spraying, I don't think I will have to mask the black undersides of the horizontal stabilizers.  Any inadvertent overspray would be easy to fix too.

The break will be used to repair the "10" marking.

Thanks guys! Doing the mottle, after reverting to a more casual technique, was quite fun!

A new set of masks were prepared to fix the port side red "10".  It is exposing only the red portion of the numeral and masking the white border.
IMG-1172.jpg

As you can tell by the paint splatter, the red was mixed a bit thicker than normal to try to help fill in the void left by the lifted paint.  Ideally, I would have used some micromesh to shave down the edges.
IMG-1173.jpg

The "10" after repair.  There is still a faint edge around the repair spot but I think subsequent clear coats will take care of it.
IMG-1174.jpg

After the repair, the remainder of the mottling is completed.
IMG-1175.jpg

IMG-1176.jpg

A quick session in the light box to document this painting stage.  High quality photography is a great way to improve your modeling technique since it reveals things that you might normally miss.  And by "high quality", I don't mean expensive DSLR.  As long as you are working in a well-lit environment, you can get excellent photographic results with cheap point-n-shoots (I use a Canon S110 that I picked up for $80) or smartphone.
IMG-1178.jpg

IMG-1179.jpg

IMG-1180.jpg

IMG-1181.jpg

IMG-1182.jpg

I will be making minor adjustments to the camo by cleaning up the overspray and referring to the archive photos of Red 10 to see if there are any obvious visual characteristics that I want to represent.

The wing roots have been set up for hairspray paint chipping but it didn't work out as well as expected.  I should have learned from my Bf109G-14 build that mottle camo patterns and hairspray aren't a good match.  You really need a uniform paint layer on top or else the chipping will just propagate around the areas where the paint is thinnest.  I stopped after I started to notice this pattern.
IMG-1187.jpg

IMG-1188.jpg

Wing crosses have been masked and painted.
IMG-1184.jpg

IMG-1186.jpg

The fuselage crosses and tail swastikas were painted next.
IMG-1189.jpg

IMG-1190.jpg

I'll let this dry before I paint the aircraft WN code on the tail, which will be the last painted marking.  The rest of the stencil decals go on next.
IMG-1191.jpg

The rest of the stencil decals have been applied and now it is time to give the model a dirty wash.  As usual, I am going to make my washes using pastel chalks and water.
IMG-1194.jpg

I am making two washes... one light beige for the undersides and a dark brown for the uppers. A drop of liquid soap is added to the mix to help the pastel particles to suspend and not sink.
IMG-1195.jpg

IMG-1196.jpg

The undersides are done first with the beige color.  The wash is brushed over all of the raised and recessed details and allowed to dry.
IMG-1199.jpg

IMG-1200.jpg

IMG-1201.jpg

IMG-1204.jpg

The top sides are given a dark brown wash.
IMG-1205.jpg

IMG-1206.jpg

IMG-1207.jpg

I usually work in sub-sections to make sure that the wash process is complete and uniform.  
IMG-1208.jpg

IMG-1209.jpg

IMG-1210.jpg

The brown shade was chosen to provide contrast with the light blue upper camo color and add a dirty tinge to the exterior.  I thought a black wash would be too stark.
IMG-1211.jpg

3 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Great work John!  

Is there a reason for pastel washes in comparison to enamel or acrylic washes? Is it just a simplicity thing, or is there a reason for using chalks?

Matt 

Thanks Matt!  No particular reason... just the way that I learned how to do washes and have never felt the need to try anything else.  It's simple, easy, cheap and effective.  Checks all the boxes for me.

The remainder of the wash has been done.
IMG-1214.jpg

IMG-1215.jpg

IMG-1216.jpg

IMG-1217.jpg

IMG-1218.jpg

IMG-1220.jpg

IMG-1222.jpg

IMG-1223.jpg