1/32 Revell Me 262B-1/U1 Nachtjager

Thunnus

Thanks guys! After the gloss coat, I applied the kit-supplied decals on the wheels which included the red alignment markers.  The tread was given a dark wash as explained previously.
IMG-1041.jpg

The last step was to introduce some stains using a light-colored pastel wash.  Instead of trying to avoid the tide marks that are sometimes associated with pastel washes on flat surfaces, I use them to create discrete stains on the tires.  Since it is a water-based wash, it wipes off easily.  So I use a few iterative steps to create stains and wiping them off partially.
IMG-1052.jpg

IMG-1056.jpg

In the meantime, I am adding some bits and pieces to the main model.  The drop tank racks have been glued in.
IMG-1048.jpg

The kit aileron control linkage has been upgraded with the PE bits from Eduard.
IMG-1057.jpg

I've procrastinated long enough and have built up enough incentive to start painting.  I've painted the landing gear doors and have a better idea of how I'm going to treat the black undersurfaces.
IMG-1069.jpg

The model is prepped for painting by cleaning off the exterior surfaces with a clean cloth damped with Windex.  The nose gear bay is filled with wet tissue paper and the main landing gear bays are covered with the kit part that depicts the closed doors.  FWIW that part does not fit very well.
IMG-1070.jpg

The undersurfaces is given a coat of Tamiya AS-12 Silver decanted from the can.  The areas that I am thinking of chipping (mostly around the nacelles and frontal fuselage bottom) will be given a coat of hairspray prior to the black.
IMG-1071.jpg

IMG-1072.jpg

The upper camo will be treated a little bit differently and will have chipping by hairspray restricted to the wing root area.  So that area is given a coat of AS-12 as well.
IMG-1073.jpg

I would like to ask Radub or other experts, about your opinion of Jumo 004 B exhaust part colour.

I have read somewhere, that there was used some special ceramic paint which was close to silver/white color. In other source I have read that it was made from mild-steel and then aluminised (how that colour looks like?).

IMG-0880.jpg

The true is that outlet cone look very light colored on most of original photos.

Thanks

9 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Just catching up John and some excellent updates, those wheels/ UC gear look superb as ever and looking forward to watching you lay the layers of colour down. 

Regards.Andy 

Thanks Andy!  I've thought that landing gear and tires can be a neglected component of a build and wanted to move beyond the paint-it-one-color-and-move-on treatment that I used to practice.  The really fun part begins now as the camo starts getting applied. 

8 hours ago, johnie hopper said:

I would like to ask Radub or other experts, about your opinion of Jumo 004 B exhaust part colour.

I have read somewhere, that there was used some special ceramic paint which was close to silver/white color. In other source I have read that it was made from mild-steel and then aluminised (how that colour looks like?).

The true is that outlet cone look very light colored on most of original photos.

Thanks

I've wondered the same thing Johnie.  Especially since Vince posted that last pic of Red 10...

1564914800563.png

I'm going to mimic that and spray that area with a light grey after the camo painting.  That's why I have not been masking off that area.

5 hours ago, turbo said:

Great work John, I particularly like the weathering job you've done on the tyres - very convincing!

Thanks Kirby!  Lot's of different ways of imparting a sense of wear on that rubber.

Moving forward with the painting on this one.  Next is the black and I am using straight Tamiya X-1 Black.  The flat coat tends to "whiten" everything so the pure black will not be so pure towards the end.  I really don't know how to add tonal variation to dark colors in the preshade stage so I will be trying to impart some of that afterwards.
IMG-1081.jpg

IMG-1082.jpg

The bottom of the fuselage and the nacelles are scrubbed with a wet stipple (stiff) brush to activate the hairspray chipping.  Not concerned with missing any areas as it will be relatively simple to augment the chipping afterwards with pencils and sponges.
IMG-1084.jpg

IMG-1085.jpg

I may try to get some contrast in some panels and maybe the control surfaces with a slightly lighter color.

9 hours ago, johnie hopper said:

He he he, I would not really call myself an "expert" as such. I still have a lot to learn. :) 

Here are some photos of the aircraft in Munich - this appears to be original and unrestored or repainted. The only part that is really visible is the "onion" and that appears to be slightly corroded steel. A light dusrting of "rust" over the metal-painted parts should be enough. 

I have photos of the engine preserved in Prague Kbely (not restored, not "cleaned", not repainted), but those photos were not taken by me and I cannot share them. However the look is pretty much the same.

HTH 

Radu 

HqsiRZH0f5mvvZX7zwmT5N4k0nu0hJ5Z7iPP3GyW

LR6kAgKqVJJxBRBj5b8oiUuS5C3XszBw1GuoqS0u

2 hours ago, Radub said:

He he he, I would not really call myself an "expert" as such. I still have a lot to learn. :) 

Here are some photos of the aircraft in Munich - this appears to be original and unrestored or repainted. The only part that is really visible is the "onion" and that appears to be slightly corroded steel. A light dusrting of "rust" over the metal-painted parts should be enough. 

I have photos of the engine preserved in Prague Kbely (not restored, not "cleaned", not repainted), but those photos were not taken by me and I cannot share them. However the look is pretty much the same.

HTH 

Radu 

HqsiRZH0f5mvvZX7zwmT5N4k0nu0hJ5Z7iPP3GyW

LR6kAgKqVJJxBRBj5b8oiUuS5C3XszBw1GuoqS0u

So when it was new it could look like this aluminized steel pipe.

kooks-90-250-30-16-304-SS-FLRQ.jpg

Thanks for the great information on the jet exhausts!

The top surface painting is finally underway!  Since this will be a field-applied mottle over a factory scheme, I will restrict my pre-shading to the panel lines.
IMG-1086.jpg

For the base camo, I've decided on a RLM 81 (Dark Green Version) and RLM 82 combination and will be using AK Real Colors.
IMG-1089.jpg

I'm going to swap between the two colors, choosing to concentrate on areas rather than finishing one color.  The wing root has been treated with hairspray so I want to finish that area first.
IMG-1091.jpg

IMG-1093.jpg

I've picked up a set of Humbrol stipple brushes that work well for chipping.  If you need more stiffness, all you have to do is cut the bristles shorter.
IMG-1094.jpg

IMG-1095.jpg

After the hairspray chipping, the rest of the upper camo is painted. A few of the decals and markings will be applied at this stage as I refer to the reference photos of Red 10.  It looks like the Red "10" and also the fuel triangles on the engine nacelles were in place prior to the mottle pattern.
IMG-1098.jpg

IMG-1099.jpg