1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon?

Iain

No real updates this weekend as I've mostly been 'kicking' the PC into some semblance of order and software 'currency' - and currently installing Solidworks - which may turn out to be a leap waaaaay beyond my abilities - but worth a go.  :frantic:

In the mean-time - the fresh joints from the other day have been sanded - and filled ready for another sanding.

Oh, and I might have found a way to add the side window glazings from outside, once the fuselage is sanded and primed. We'll see...

Have FUN!

Iain

1 hour ago, Iain said:

No real updates this weekend as I've mostly been 'kicking' the PC into some semblance of order and software 'currency' - and currently installing Solidworks - which may turn out to be a leap waaaaay beyond my abilities - but worth a go.  :frantic:

In the mean-time - the fresh joints from the other day have been sanded - and filled ready for another sanding.

Oh, and I might have found a way to add the side window glazings from outside, once the fuselage is sanded and primed. We'll see...

Have FUN!

Iain

Hang in there on the Solidworks learning, it is soo worth the time to figure it out, it is an awesome tool for modeling !!! One thing I found is that a large screen monitor makes it  much easier to work with the program due to the tool and file menus that appear on the top and side of the work layout.

Good luck with it,

Pat

• 3 months later...

Nose under a coat of automotive primer:

48b427_8126f4dfb3fd410faa9d2a2abba1d76c~

And filled inside with lead shot - sold as packing material for diving weights - added in layers and bonded with Cyano glue:

48b427_4f70badebc3e47209ed0bbfbfba008a6~

This will be topped off with a thin layer of polyurethane resin.

Have been asked how good a surface finish I get from the FDM printer using HIPS as a printing material - Facebook in particular seems to have a lot of modellers that believe that resin printers are the only ones suitable for scale models.

As we've said before - both have their place - and there's no way I'd print an airframe the size of a 737 using a resin printer! The HIPS is also really easy to prep and bond.

Thought I'd grab a few photos of last nights' cowling parts - now in primer - as a quick demonstration...

These parts were printed with a layer height of 0.1mm - and only needed a few minutes to remove the printing 'brim' and give the surface a quick smooth with some sanding sticks and a sanding sponge - I've spent about a minute on each part to prep for primer!

48b427_c2bdf4afa1364c478fba6e337cd3259b~

Primer of choice is my usual automotive primer (from Halfords here in the UK). I've used the 'Plastic Primer' version here, because that's what I had to hand - but the standard primer is just as good:

48b427_96475b54406e4ca2b99702dd09b14068~

One coat of primer later - ready for some neatening - but, hopefully, you can see the surfaces are pretty good!

48b427_66fac821783f48f7b704159c9b95ee51~

48b427_ca77e313e57d441eab11f6f889e9b1c0~

That's about it for now folks - but will try and post some more updates over next week, or so...

Blue Skies!

Iain

Wow Iain - amazing stuff

I really need to develop my skills - I can do bits and bobs in 3D, but the idea of making complex shapes like these is just beyond me..

I have spent 2 days trying to model one prop blade - ultimately an epic fail - any advice on youtube vids or anything that helps turn known outlines / cross sections into such buttery smooth shapes?

brilliant model - loving seeing it get realised bit by bit

Peter

Hi Peter,

Much as I'd love to take credit for the shapes - these were designed by someone else - I've just re-scaled and modded slightly for my own ends.

I'm still at the 'basics' stage when it comes to 3D modelling - but trying to have a play every day, even if it's just for a short period of time...

Iain

14 hours ago, Iain said:

Hi Peter,

Much as I'd love to take credit for the shapes - these were designed by someone else - I've just re-scaled and modded slightly for my own ends.

Iain, I'm curious what this process is like. For example, I have two 1/48 IM parts that I would want to scale up to 1/32... how does one go about this? Perhaps you can explain to little ol' me in layman's terms :-)

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

7 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Iain, I'm curious what this process is like. For example, I have two 1/48 IM parts that I would want to scale up to 1/32... how does one go about this? Perhaps you can explain to little ol' me in layman's terms :-)

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

I don't think Iain scaled up any physical parts, but rather, he had the CAD designs to hand (done by somebody else), and modified those to suit, prior to printing the parts.

Kev