1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon?

Iain

2 hours ago, Iain said:

Slow progress - but with the latest fuselage part off the printer I was able to tape everything together with the earlier 737-800 front end and gauge the size:

48b427_c77bf2c0d5c047d29ec55a015510d606~

48b427_c017c5deeee24c509acc294bef4c9559~

Note the cut out sections for main gear bay and weapons bay.

It certainly has 'presence'!  B)

Printer is busy on the next sections - broken down to facilitate doing an interior from the side observation windows forward...

Iain

Simply superb, companies could take note to make this type of aircraft at 1:32 scale, Poseidon, B52, AC 130, KC-135 Stratotanker ...

keep up the good work

In answer to the earlier weight question - I've just weighed the fuselage/fin as is the above photos and it's 1.22 kg - not bad at all for something this size - a vac with the necessary internal reinforcement would weigh at least that I reckon.

Obviously, more weight to come...

OK - so, yes, it's very, very, silly - but it's currently dominating the table in the living room - and it's a pretty impressive thing to see, if very slightly mad. As an exercise in 'can I print something big' it's worked - and taught me a huge amount in the process.

Iain

Someone on our modelling club's Facebook page asked how the 737-800/P-8A Poseidon compared in size to my other big project - the 1:32 Lockheed EC-121 Warning Star - so some images for anyone interested!

48b427_d7a5652f1bd246b48c549be7270245d1~

48b427_8ab37df2420141018d8a33381ebe8c55~

48b427_8213f208f0eb4b62a129cda130482e77~

As I've mentioned - I will be using my printers for parts for the Connie too.

Iain

16 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

How come your grass is green and mine is still brown?

Its Fescue not Bermuda or the photo is not recent.

Jager

Edited by Jager

17 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

I so miss the Connie.....The butterscotch empennage and wings and.....everything else...^_^

Connie will be back on the go soon - the 3D Print side of things will form a core part of the next stages - now I have the tools and am gaining experience.  B)

16 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

How come your grass is green and mine is still brown?

Because it's usually raining over here!  ^_^

Iain

Just a thought re size: I'm sure a lot of the thoughts around size are because, traditionally, the static scale models side of things has been smaller scales/model sizes - compared to the model flying/Radio Controlled hobby, where large model airframes are the norm.

This project really isn't that bad when compared to those flying models!

OK - perhaps I'm trying to rationalise the project, or maybe not...  :frantic:

Meanwhile, another section on the printer after a support failure yesterday - should be finished tomorrow am, but will try and get some photos of the other parts I've printed off in the mean-time.

My FDM printer has been running almost non-stop now for 12 days!

Have FUN!

Iain

Without a doubt Iain. My late father flew quarter scale R/C planes (actual 1/4th scale not that other rubbish they sometimes refer to as quarter scale) and in general, their sizes ranged from 65"/165cm to 120"/305cm depending on the actual model.

Storage always had to be either on the ceiling in the basement, or disassembled in his work shop. 

I definitely have to get my CR-10S dialed in to print ABS or HIPS - whilst I have printed pretty much all the parts I need on my Mono X, this is slowly starting to get expensive... :D

Regarding the size of the beast, the fuselage itself isn't that shocking IMO - but once the wings are on, it becomes really massive. Even the elevators have a biggerspan than most 32nd scale fighters...