1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon?

Iain

5 hours ago, Derek B said:

I am sure that Iain will provide a definitive answer, but my understanding is that it will be very light, as it has a hollow matrix core.

Regards

Derek

Light maybe, but I suspect it would be VERY light :hmmm:That's a meter long aircraft approximately with about the same width. Could be easily 1kg or so... maybe more... 

For the size they’ll definitely be light! Density can be a tricky thing for your perception however. I’ve held a model filled with nose weight in one hand and a solid electric guitar in the other, and the model has felt heavier to me despite weighing 1/7 as much as the guitar

Weight - the slicing software that takes the .stl files and makes them ready for the printer gives a printed weight for each part - but that includes supports which are necessary for a successful print, but will be removed and discarded.

I'll do a post over the weekend with weights so far - and showing the internal structures the software creates - I find it all fascinating...

At a rough guess I reckon the complete fuselage/tail will be around 2kg (4.4 lbs) - or slightly less.

For it's size (approx. 1.2m/4' long) that's pretty light.

Yes - the undercarriage will need to be strong - but all doable. You can even use an LCD/resin printer to print a resin suitable for lost wax casting straight from the printer - so there's even the possibility of getting something cast in brass!

The arrival of this tech at a more 'hobbyist' price point has opened up a whole new vista of opportunities for those that want to create subjects outside the mainstream kit world, and particularly lends itself to LSPs - which is why I really want to get this one cracked, to demonstrate what can be achieved.

I'm a little embarrassed to be using someone else's 3D design here - albeit altered. I'll be really happy when I can design a complete airframe from scratch myself.

That mid section part I sent to print Wednesday I abandoned as I'd re-thought the area around the main gear bay. Once tweaked a new print was started in the very early hours of Thur am - with a 50 hr print time - should be done earlier hours of Saturday.

3D printing can be a very slow process!

Have fun.

Iain

I'd say it's totally fine to use an available file. I personally would compare this kind of modelling with using a vacu kit. You get the basic shape, but not much more. The P-8 has been on my list since I got my CR-10S back in 2018. I ran several tests abut wasn't able to obtain a good result. The file we are using now certainly is a great base! Maybe we should join forces in order to get the model up to the level we all expect? 

The main problem I see is the wings which are just super thick and to find a possibility to make them detachable - otherwise it'll be pretty much impossible for me to store the model. The main landing gear bay will need a lot of work as wel as pretty much all of it will be visible - and it's super busy. I have printed all the parts except the langing gear by the way. I've faced some issues with the wings being slightly deformed after curing - but as already mentioned, they are way too thick anyway. 

Agree with file - I just want to be capable of doing my own designs from scratch - but I was really taken with the overall look of the 737 model when I first found it.

As a blank canvas it's a great start!  :)

I've been doing quite a few changes to the parts using Meshmixer - so cut out gear bays, windows etc. - I *think* I can thin the wings/tail surfaces prior to print - but I haven't got that far yet.

As to working together - absolutely! I'm way behind on the design curve - but more than happy to share anything I create between the three of us.

Mine will be done (at least that's the plan) as CXX Squadron RAF Poseidon MRA1 ZP801 "The Pride of Moray".

Iain

I used the 737-800 file to start with, so I have spent hours closing all the windows... I didn't alter anything else, though. I have just printed the specific Poseidon bits separately as I did not want to throw away the parts I had already printed. I think I mentioned earlier that I had purchased a (f*in expensive) Poseidon file which was not intended for 3D printing; the wings from this file are nicely detailed but I have to check if I can modify them in order to make them printable. That would make our lives much easier. Details like the cockpit and front lading gear bay should be rather easy to draw; the main gear well is more complex and it will probably make more sense to combine it with a part of the lower fuselage section. 

I'l' do a US Navy bird of course, not sure which Squadron I'll choose yet. Finishing this project as a kind of common effort would certainly be a col and very rewarding thing to do! 

10 hours ago, airscale said:

this is so next level nuts I thought it was april fools :)

a 1/32 Boeing 737...

..it just goes to show imagination has no limits - well done Iain for stretching all of ours :)

Peter

Call it 'Lockdown Fever' Peter!  :frantic::)

But I do think it's all doable and, size/transport/storage/painting aside - not that impossible a project.

As I said: this is my 3D design/print test piece/apprenticeship and the project gives lots of opportunity to learn and push my skill-set - which is the driving factor.

Oh, and something very different!

Some more parts off the printer yesterday, and the next fuselage section is currently half-way through printing - due to finish around 5 am tomorrow.

Iain

Slow progress - but with the latest fuselage part off the printer I was able to tape everything together with the earlier 737-800 front end and gauge the size:

48b427_c77bf2c0d5c047d29ec55a015510d606~

48b427_c017c5deeee24c509acc294bef4c9559~

Note the cut out sections for main gear bay and weapons bay.

It certainly has 'presence'!  B)

Printer is busy on the next sections - broken down to facilitate doing an interior from the side observation windows forward...

Iain