1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon?

Iain

5 hours ago, Iain said:

And with this I now appear have one third of a 1:32 737-800/P-8 fuselage!  :coolio:

48b427_f655645d16e349558ffe92fe7b4d356c~

48b427_defd59fb368a4e40931daee9f9b6e4c7~

And here you can see the faulty print with some shrinkage - easily fixable with Milliput, or similar, but I'll probably re-print.

48b427_3fb4f5773612491493d69a133101fddd~

So - do I print the next section as well?  :whistle::mental:

Have fun!

Iain

Ian how much plastic (or kg?) did you use in order to make these pieces so far?
Loving every bit of this ... IMHO this sure is game changing stuff isn't it? feels like a bit of cheating then again the bulk of the work is in the design and drawing stage... so In a sense you're making this model digital first and then for real with your printed parts..
thoroughly enjoying this thread it shows all that be achieved in today's modelling... exciting times we live in

Cheers

Frederick Jacobs

Currently around 330g I reckon for what you see so far - not a lot really!

And the beauty of this material is it's model kit plastic - so easy to work with.  :)

I'd love to have created the CAD model I'm using - but I'm nowhere near even scratching that level at the moment - but that's my aspiration.

And, if it weren't for this technology, I wouldn't even be considering a project like this.

It does feel a bit like cheating - but *if* I eventually make anything of this there will be a lot of traditional modelling/scratchbuilding involved.

And my plan is to draw detail/conversion parts as I go - which will be a good/practical way to learn the basics and gain confidence.

If that makes sense?

Iain

Think you need to design a VC-10 and print that in 1/32nd...... and then a CL-215 to beat Tim,..... ;)

Seriously though, this will be great, i'm not a huge P-8 fan, just another 737 to me... but it'll be the only one you'll see built if you carry it on that's for sure. 

13 hours ago, Iain said:

I've wanted a 3D printer for years: I first came into contact with them decades ago - but the cost was absolutely prohibative. They were very expensive/complex beasts that were the domain of industry, not the individual.

However, the prive/performance equation has radically changed, making such technologies the affordable domain of the common man.

Now - several influences have come to play in my thinking this year:

• Tim Perry (@wunwinglow of this parish) is a good, and very patient, friend. As many will know, he was the man behind PP Aeroparts, the inovative, and pioneering, accessory company from the '80s. For the last couple of decades his day job has been in the rapid prototyping world - so his knowledge/experience/expertise in the field of 3D Modelling and 3D Printing is right up there with the best. And he's been nagging encouraging me to take the plunge for years. I'm currently building a Tornado F.Mk 3 with parts that Tim has designed and printed, using both FDM and SLA printers - and playing to the strengths of both.
  • Earlier this year I took delivery of a 1:32 Hawker Siddeley HS.780 Andover, designed and 3D Printed by Toshihiko Shimizu of One Man Model - the process of design and print of a small batch left me absolutely mesmerised by the process - and very inspired!
  • As many will know, I've been researching/working on a fix for the wing cross section on the HobbyBoss 1:32 B-24s. I'd come up with an airfoil fix, but was looking at ways of producing a viable 'correction' set, originally looking at a series of longitudinal formers to be used with a modified spar - but modifying the kit spar to work with the new sections proved almost impossible and I parked it. Until I got the Andover - and until a few conversations with Tim - and I had that lightbuld moment. Design as a 3D Model in CAD - print in several pieces on an FDM printer - in HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) - the same as kit plastic!

But I didn't have a printer...

48b427_fd7ae36ec29a4c409759fdddd6daace3~

Well, I do now - a Creality Ender 5 Pro - with a 220 x 220 x 300 print volume and capable of printing HIPS (and ABS) filament, as long as the printer is in an enclosure to keep ambient temperatures around the print high and constant, in order to prevent distortion and shrinkage.

So I purchased a thermally lined and fire resistant enclosure too:

48b427_01603261c76a4036aaf548774b8ac9a9~

48b427_631c070252334f26a68ba53945e3079a~

OK - so new printer - needed to test print, obviously!

I didn't have anything ready yet as part of my playing with CAD software - and, being a kid a heart, wanted to find something other than a cat, or frog model to do some test prints.

A bit of Googling and I found a pre-drawn model of a 737-800 available to purchase and scaled to print at 1:100. The model looked really good - so I bought it!

Then, well, you know how you do, I thought 'I wonder if I can scale that' - so I did - to 1:32 scale and did a few test prints of the engine, using the free PLA filament that came with the printer.

So, this CFM-56 engine pod was the very firstest thing I printed with my new printer - and I was very pleased with the results:

48b427_ad87a6894b1342f1bc5452cb67c0e27c~

48b427_6af11163170a4e03bf91f51de6c8a2e7~

It's not small! Ignore exhaust angle - that's just loose in pod.

48b427_1857a6997d5447718cc30b7c65832e95~

But shapes look well researched:

48b427_bb9f422ef2e94c398c6b5102f82fb883~

48b427_6dab230273fc4da3a8782162995b1ac0~

Now, it just so happens that the P-8 Poseidon is based on the 737-800...

Can you tell where this *might* be heading?

Back in a mo...

Iain

Lain,

What an impressive model.

The CFM56-7 engine that powers the Poseidon has a 24 blade fan. The kit designer, for some reason, chose an 18 blade disc.

I point this out only for the sake of scale accuracy. By no means is this a criticism of your work, which is always exemplary.

In any case, this is bound to be great!

Rich

7n5RLJ2.jpg

Edited by allthumbs

6 hours ago, allthumbs said:

Lain,

What an impressive model.

The CFM56-7 engine that powers the Poseidon has a 24 blade fan. The kit designer, for some reason, chose an 18 blade disc.

I point this out only for the sake of scale accuracy. By no means is this a criticism of your work, which is always exemplary.

In any case, this is bound to be great!

Rich

7n5RLJ2.jpg

Hi Rich,

Great photo - yes, aware of that.  :)

Things like all engine parts will be replaced, and printed in a high-res printer - that fan was just a test piece and, besides number of blades, is a little crude as it's been scaled up rather a lot!

This is one of the things that's going to force me to learn the modelling software properly.

Just playing with some of the big airframe parts at present - and that was really just to test the printer - before I got carried away that is! ;)

Iain

2 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Iain, 

EXCEPTIONAL  workmanship.

Good to see you building and this is simply 

outstanding. 

:wow:

:clap2:

say hello to Cameron  from ME.

:yahoo:

Not really my work yet Maru - apart from cutting up and scaling someone else's design and then playing with the printer! 

Will pass message. :)

The last print I showed now show's some surface cracking - easily fixed with solvent, but a sign that I'd pushed the layering thickness too much at 0.32mm - and will go back to 0.22, or thereabouts, to get better layer adhesion. HIPS is quite sensitive to a variety of factors...

Oh - and the front half of the mid section and wing root is now off the printer. Same surface cracking - but useable.

Now - some more number crunching at lunch-time - if the dimensions I have are correct for the 737-800 fuselage I'm on track to be, maybe, 10mm short in length overall.

To put that in perspective - that's less than 1%.

Should I re-size a little and re-print, or leave as is?

Am tempted to re. do - with the lessons I've learned re the printer...

Iain

8 hours ago, Iain said:

Now - some more number crunching at lunch-time - if the dimensions I have are correct for the 737-800 fuselage I'm on track to be, maybe, 10mm short in length overall.

Hi Iain

I do not know if you have factored the overhang of the tail in which would generally be included in the total length but would not show in the fuselage length.

I would anyway not bother with the 10mm.

Cheers

Nick

7 minutes ago, clarkis said:

So, looks like the answer to the B-24 wing shape, doesn't it? Print the parts, cast 'em in resin, sell 'em on eBay, retire to a Pacific island...actually, you prolly could fly there on the 737 you're building! Great work and moving the ball forward here, Iain...

Clark

Hi Clark,

I doubt I'll make a fortune producing B-24 wing spars - but printing them will be a lot easier/cleaner/cheaper than casting in resin - and printing in High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS) makes bending and bonding the wing upper surface to the former a breeze, as well as being lighter and stronger.

Hence my experiments - that just happen to be 737 shaped at present!  :)

Iain

2 minutes ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Iain

I do not know if you have factored the overhang of the tail in which would generally be included in the total length but would not show in the fuselage length.

I would anyway not bother with the 10mm.

Cheers

Nick

Yes - this is fuselage dimension - nose to APU end of fuselage.

There's a good table of info here - on a useful website:)

Iain