1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon?

Iain

Dimensions - now leaning towards the figure Nick (@Cheetah11) gave earlier - as that's appearing from several sources - 124' 9".

Which would be 1188.2mm in 1:32

Mine is currently heading for 8.2mm short of that - I think.

Need to go through the separate print files and work out what's going on - I suspect it's just a rounding error.

Iain

Just wow, wow and wow! This is just as addictive for us to watch as it is for you to make. The very first time that I saw the first image of the 737 nose, I immediately thought 'he's going to make a 1/32 P-8A Poseidon'! :)

I would love to do this, but I am far behind the learning curve here and am uncertain if I have the money, time or lifespan left to take advantage of it, so effectively, you are the vanguard in this respect cutting the path forward for the rest of us to follow (I certainly need to learn from your (and Tim and other worthy stalwarts) experience and follow.

I think what most of us are waiting for is a definitive (as far as can be possible in this ever fast changing world of IT technology) 'one package' advice for the best overall (for all general use) 3D print, easy to use software and CAD design which we can all use easily (almost 'plug and play' as it were); thank you for sharing your work and experiences with us all.

I hope that this 'experiment' comes to full fruition in the fullness of time, and should we all get through this pandemic safely and return to normal, any future 32SIG table at SMW will have to be substantially extended to accommodate your P-8A, which may incur additional notable landing and parking fees on your behalf! :)

Regards

Derek  

Edited by Derek B

8 minutes ago, Derek B said:

I hope that this 'experiment' comes to full fruition in the fullness of time, and should we all get through this pandemic safely and return to normal, any future 32SIG table at SMW will have to be substantially extended to accommodate your P-8A, which may incur notable landing and parking fees on your behalf! :)

Regards

Derek  

Derek you might have to strengthen the display  table. The 738 has one of the highest LCN numbers. :rofl:

Edited by Cheetah11

OK - decision made - I'm going to re-print...

This is partly to fix the fuselage size (it will bug me) and also because I've found some new features in one of the programs I'm using (MeshMixer) that will let me edit out some of the surface features (side windows) and, just maybe, pre-cut the cockpit windows.

Also intend to split the front fuselage horizontally, in line with the floor, to make detailing the interior a breeze (will only do the interior of the front section - nothing else will be seen).

Oh - and I want to experiment with adding location holes in the cut surfaces - have just discovered how to do that too.

As I downloaded this as an .stl file (half way between a 3D CAD model and a print file) the ability to edit is limited - but I'm learning fast, and it's hugely enjoyable/rewarding.

The parts I've printed so far won't go to waste as I can practice some things on them - and possibly re-use some sections to act as formers when I make some of the exterior lumps and bumps worn by the P-8A.

Have also had a play with the wings - I can split into two sections each side and they'll fit on the printer - was expecting to have to split each side into 3.

Also had an online tutorial session with Tim on Monday night going through the basics of Rhino 3D modelling software, so I have to get practicing with that.

As said, this *may* go nowhere as a finished model - but as a learning piece it's already worth its weight in Polystyrene (about £8.50 so far as I've found a reasonably cheap source of filament).  :)

Have fun!

Iain

On 11/18/2020 at 10:30 AM, Iain said:

The parts I've printed so far won't go to waste as I can practice some things on them - and possibly re-use some sections to act as formers when I make some of the exterior lumps and bumps worn by the P-8A.

There is always this I suppose Iain?...

1571068170.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Depending on your filament, there’s some really effective glues out and about. 

I use Plastic Magic on PLA filaments - amazing stuff. No interest in the stuff other than I’m a very satisfied customer!

3HWktep.jpg

Good luck with the editing of the CAD, and welcome to the slippery slope!

Thanks for the heads-up on that, looks like useful stuff. :thumbsup:

I use Plastic Weld (dichloromethane) and MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) generally as solvents - and they work with the majority of plastics.

However, I'm printing with HIPS - so the same material as plastic kits - and the whole point of this test print. I don't want to use PLA!

Any suitable plastic modelling glue/solvent will work, although it's a little more tricky to print than PLA - which I've only used for the first test - the CFM-56 engine - as it came free with the printer.  :)

Iain

No printing progress this weekend, but spent a few more hours earlier learning how to use more features that come with Meshmixer software: I now have a 3D model of the front 3rd of the fuselage split vertically - and horizontally into 6 parts - and scaled correctly to 1:32.

And I now know how to precisely add a cut-out for the bomb bay - as well as the main undercarriage bay.

May do an update next week with some screen grabs...

Another few steps further up the learning curve!  :)

Have fun.

Iain

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Iain, in case you’re still doing a P-8A, the 1/100 model of it just went up on Cults!

I’ll be scaling this up to 32nd for myself but I won’t be putting in anywhere near the effort you’ll likely be putting in to your build :) 

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/161215-boeing-p-8a-poseidon-down