P-47D French AF [Trumpeter 1/32]

discus

Hello

Here is my latest built: P-47D "Bubbletop" from trumpeter in French AF colors, Lafayette squadron.

Nice kit overall except the complext turbocharger system that is totally useless as fully hidden in the fuselage (except that it support the cockpit tub).

I used some goodies:

- HGW fabric seatbelts

- Master guns and pitot tube

- Berna decals

- Yahu models PE instrument panel

- Eduard Brassin Rocket launchers (not sure they were actually used by the french jugs but since I had them anyway...)

As usual this is brush painted. I used Vallejo Metal Cote Aluminum for the overall surfaces and Duralumin for the upper wings weapon panels.

Other colors are usual Humbrol enamels.

And now, I have to close down the modeler's shop to prepare for a move. And I have to pack 80+ kits hoping the unavoidable damages will stay limited.

img_2437.jpg

img_2436.jpg

img_2435.jpg

img_2440.jpg

img_2438.jpg

img_2439.jpg

img_2441.jpg

Cheers

nice build

as someone who is just about to finish this kit, i admire how clean you have made the gun bay and ammunition bay panels fit - i made a pig's ear of mine :doh:

the overall finish is very effective

how were the decals? i am very interested in clear film around the kill markings and how that went down - this is always one of my concerns

thanks for sharing

Nick

11 hours ago, nmayhew said:

how were the decals? i am very interested in clear film around the kill markings and how that went down - this is always one of my concerns

Decals are fine IMO. The film is invisble and adjusted to the markings.

3 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

The skill and patience it must take to create a smooth silver finish of this quality is admirable discus Well done indeed.

I hope your move goes without a hitch 

Cheers 

Well it's not so complicated: The technic is actually similar to a dry brushing of the surface. It is a bit unatural but it works well.

There is a video on YT showing how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcMpsGj1Nbg

Hi discus, thanks for the link. 

The guy makes it look very easy and the finish that you've achieved looks quite realistic.

May I ask, how durable is the finish? Does it come off on your fingers if you pick the model up? Did you have to do anything special to get the decals to adhere?

Thankyou.

3 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Hi discus, thanks for the link. 

The guy makes it look very easy and the finish that you've achieved looks quite realistic.

May I ask, how durable is the finish? Does it come off on your fingers if you pick the model up? Did you have to do anything special to get the decals to adhere?

Thankyou.

It's actually really easy. Even easier than a regular brush painting with enamels where brush marks are more visible IMO.

As any metal finish, if you are not careful, you will scratch it (typically with your finger nails). But once dry, there is no problem (It dries quickly but I leave it for 12 to 24 hours between two layers).

First thing I did once last layer of paint was dry enough was to apply a layer of gloss top coat to protect it, even if I use enamel panel liners that should not damage it. Just to be sure.

What I am not sure of, and I didn't dare trying, was to mask on the metal finish so I paint the red and olive drab parts first (humbrol enamels).

Regarding decals adherence, as usual, you need a gloss finish so whatever the paint, I always apply a gloss coat before (and after by the way).

Then I use Mr Mark Setter Neo.