US Army's new Night Vision Goggles

D.B. Andrus

Big improvements for the average grunt in the last decade or two. They are seeing gear that used to be exclusive to the special ops guys.  

I’ve still got a messed-up back due to the limitations of the single-tube PVS-7’s I used to rock “back in the day”.   I do have to wonder about the security aspect of using what is basically a blue tooth system against a tech savy adversary.   

15 hours ago, John1 said:

blue tooth system against a tech savy adversary.   

Good point.

I suspect EW will have to be an increasing component of conventional ground forces. It could easily spoof wireless connections between paired devices.

The prevalence of cheap drones that could mess up anyone not racing around a battlefield is almost going to mandate it. Factor in the development of robust lethal autonomous weapon systems and the role of the infanteer might change completely when modern conventional armies fight.

I suspect the dirt bike/ski goggle IVAS types would be much more comfortable than something flipping down from a helmet that you press your eyes into. I don't know how the other styles work when you're moving and sweating or even operating in the rain.

I had thought one of the old main issues with NVG's was their inability to give depth of field to a view.

Matty

5 hours ago, LSP_Matt said:

I suspect the dirt bike/ski goggle IVAS types would be much more comfortable than something flipping down from a helmet that you press your eyes into. I don't know how the other styles work when you're moving and sweating or even operating in the rain.

I had thought one of the old main issues with NVG's was their inability to give depth of field to a view.

Matty

With the helmet mounted NVG's, you don't actually press your eyes into them (at least with the ones I wore), they stand off a small distance.   They do surprisingly well in the rain and while moving.    Field of view is a big issue (although the special ops guys now use 4 tube systems to help address this), also depth perception.   I jacked up my back on a night exercise on NVG's when I looked down an thought I was looking at a small depression in the ground so I stepped into it.  Turns out it was much deeper and having a full ruck on, I landed wrong.   Just one of the joys of being a grunt.