Nelson Ezell - Ezell Aviation - Breckingridge, TX

For those of you that follow the warbird movement - I read on Facebook the other day that renown warbird pilot and restorer Nelson Ezell has passed away... He has been a major contributor to some beautiful warbird restorations over the years and also airshow pilot and a reno air racer usually racing Howard Pardue's Sea Fury... Thoughts and prayers going out to the entire family... Blue Skies Sir...

Here is Ezell Aviation's website that shows a small portion of the warbirds they have restored and/or maintained over the years...

http://www.ezellaviation.com/

Edited by mkd1966

10 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I must admit I had not heard of Nelson Ezell before today (I live in the UK), but after looking at the website, I would say that the global warbird community has lost a major contributor with his passing. 

My condolences go out to his family and friends. 

Chris. 

Hey Chris,

Ezell Aviation restored the P-38 Lightning that's owned by Red Bull over on your side of the pond...

Mike

On 11/12/2020 at 10:36 AM, Chek said:

Mr Ezell's Seafire 47 restoration was an outstanding achievement.

RIP

Alas, I do not think so. Close to half of the components were removed and the plane cockpit now looks bare like a Mk. I. one ! Too bad as it is the last of the breed. I would have preferred a non flying accurate restoration. It probably became a true hot rod but it is a caricature of a FR47.

I respectfully disagree.  Why do you need auxiliary fuel systems, RATO equipment, internal /external weapons systems operational or military hardware (tail-hook) kept in show room condition when YOU actually own it and can put in safety systems much more advanced /modern to get the aircraft in safer flying conditions?  The aircraft was a basket case when purchased way back,  I do recall.  This group had the foresight & economic mindset to put her back in the air and that is a wonderful achievement in itself.  The next group can obviously put her back to original military spec “if” there is such equipment available or the financial means to do it.   The G-Fire was another example.  I’d rather see them fly than sitting in a museum some where collecting dust.   This is a significantly gorgeous RNAF aircraft and I hope someone in the U.K can do justice to keeping her there and airworthy.  No doubt, a beautiful Mk-47 Seafire and I wish her a grand future where ever she ends up.   The only one in existence to see in person.   

You can also add the radios, cameras and supports and one of the most specific features of the plane: her full wing folding system! It is a matter of opinion but for the same reason I hate seeing very rare airframes being structurally modified to be changed into racers. I would not be upset if we still had a number of FR47 as we have Mustangs. But this is the only one on this planet. UK does not even have one replica! Globally, they kept the hull and engine and removed everything else. Yes, this is an incredible technical achievement as she flies but as I wrote, to me, she is not anymore a FR47 but a bare and lightweigth caricature of what she has been. I'm firmly convinced when a single airplane is still existing, she should not fly anymore. I would have zero problem if it was a replica such as the newly built Fw-190 but too many precious flying warbirds are ending in ashes...