Trumpeter A-6A "VA-65"

jeroen_R90S

• 1 month later...

Thanks for looking in, and apolgies for the late replies :-/

I had lots overtime and was able to arrange to take nearly a whole month off, but unfortunately my employer decided they want to outsource the technical IT department leaving mostly only the people who talk about work instead of actually doing something.

I'm not worried about finding another job (offers keep coming up, word goes fast!) but I'm kind of at a crossroads now for what I would really like and want to do. All my energy goes towards that now, not much left for the Intruder, unfortunately. :(

Intellectually I know I should back off from the situation for a while and do something different (like the Intruder!) but I'm just not really into it and don't want to mess up an expensive model either...

Jeroen

• 6 months later...

more 'proof of existence' than a proper update... with the job settled but some other stuff happening (like wife and one kid tested positive with covid, myself and the other kid negative....) I've slowly picked up the Intruder again.

Some sanding, filling and scribing happening; the white bits are Evergreen I stuffed in there to close most of the gappery, it actually looks worse than it is. Some seams were also filled with CA, which is there, but invisible. I had to drill the center pylon holes deeper as it would not sit flush otherwise.

I've also used some Vallejo plastic putty to fill some gaps in the main gear bays, again, stuffed some Evergreen sheet where it fits to add some strength.

36d915c2f28c91e1d527cbf7ea5e1ceb.jpg

Unfortunately my compressor (which isn't really that old!) seems to have died so I had intended to show a shot of a nicely primered Intruder, but, alas, this is it.

As I await judgement on the compressor I'm silently working on the landing gear and wing fold parts; just not much to show ;)

Finally, despite all the passed months, I still haven't decided on a scheme yet! I know it's my model, but any favourites?

The choice is between NL401 in camouflage which I think makes a nice contrast with the orange seat cushions and red speed brake insides, NL413 with the characteristic black nose I like, or perhaps AA511 with the neat stylized AA tail code? (I'd need to add green noses to my completed MERs for that one, though)c65a8ac0e4b3d73c3026fd3839c0b4cc.jpg

Jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S
added paint scheme musings...

• 1 month later...

8c01e7aab0544c0b9abcc6fe832c3dee.jpg

b4011596cb32f7c3316411ed100b56de.jpg

c60d9a173727b490ddb0f4e76bfc40a3.jpg

sand, fill, scribe and repeat ;-)

Slowly getting there. I managed to get most of it to fit pretty well, but  still, there are a lot of seams on this one!

I'd recommend glueing both nose halves to the fuselage first, as you can see I managed a decent fit, but still needed some careful sanding an filling. (the black stuff is MIG black super glue with rubber particles in it -it was an accidental discovery as my LHS ran out of normal CA and this is both black and does not need to be mixed with powder.

Also, it's much more slow drying, so you can leave it on longer, and it'll level out a bit better. As my time is rather limited at the moment that's helpful to me. :)

It's currently almost all done and primered, just a few scribing slip ups to correct and that's hopefully that. Not much to show for, but's quite a lot of work!

Jeroen

Jeroen

Coming along nicely!

In your first picture, there's a "V" shape that has been partly sanded down. On the real plane, that's a small piece of L shaped metal. It's there to prevent engine oil and hydraulic fluid from seeping back into that panel where the liquid oxygen is (because LOX and oil do nasty things when they contact). Pretty easy to take some strip styrene and lay it across there to mimic it. It's a detail that most folks miss and will help that area pop!  I know I've got pics somewhere on my Prowler build...

-Peter

On 12/21/2021 at 3:10 PM, easixpedro said:

Coming along nicely!

In your first picture, there's a "V" shape that has been partly sanded down. On the real plane, that's a small piece of L shaped metal. It's there to prevent engine oil and hydraulic fluid from seeping back into that panel where the liquid oxygen is (because LOX and oil do nasty things when they contact). Pretty easy to take some strip styrene and lay it across there to mimic it. It's a detail that most folks miss and will help that area pop!  I know I've got pics somewhere on my Prowler build...

-Peter

Thanks for tagging along and providing input :) There I have been trying to save that detail through the whole sanding and filling sessions... I've found your pictures on page 4 of your Prowler thread, thanks! The middle part was, like more details on this model around the center of the fuselage, rather faint anyway...

I've also found a good shot of this on a Prowler in a walkaround and it's indeed just an L shaped piece. The 'lip' is smaller than the flat part on the fuseage,, though I've settled for a strip of thin Evergreen, using what was left as a template. Better scratchbuilders than I am will probably be able to make an actual curved-V-shaped-L-profile :D

Fixed it just in time for primer :)

On 12/21/2021 at 8:44 PM, Finn said:

Looking good Jereon, if you plan to go with a green paint scheme at the 9:34 mark of this video there is a nice side view of one:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/85103

of note the open speed brakes.

Jari

The whole film is worth watching! :)

Interesting that the wing folds on these early A-6As looked yellow indeed, and also (at least on VA-85 as opposed to my intended VA-65) the old looking bombs. Thanks for sharing!

Jeroen

On 3/10/2021 at 9:23 AM, jeroen_R90S said:

Thanks, I see Hannants still have the sheets but they won't ship to the EU any more...

This might well have been true back in March, but - as far as I know - they are shipping to just about anywhere now. They had some major issues due to Brexit and Covid a while ago, but I believe that things have got a lot better, now. 

Chris. 

17 hours ago, Aigore said:

I confess I haven't read the whole thread yet but are you making an early "A"? There are apparently differences as I was made aware when I made a tadpole in 1/48 a couple of years ago (in 1/48 so the build isn't here :/)  but there was some converting to do :P

Yes, it's going to be a (somewhat) early A. The short answer is to read through the whole thread to see all the mods I did, with of course kudo's to AOA's excellent decals and all the help and input I got here from members! :)

The nice thing about doing a build log is not only to show off my <insert your own judgement :P>  skills and somewhat summarize all the things you could do in DIY style for an A-6A, but it's a great help to have people point out things I would not have known about and make my model a better one. I've always had a soft spot for the A-6 for some reason or other, I guess I like some aircraft where the form follows from function.

There is an OT section for other scales as well, I'd love to see some pictures of your A-6.

8 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

This might well have been true back in March, but - as far as I know - they are shipping to just about anywhere now. They had some major issues due to Brexit and Covid a while ago, but I believe that things have got a lot better, now. 

Chris. 

Thanks Chris! I just checked and it seems like it's indeed available again :)

------------------------

Not much to show otherwise, more sanding/filling/scribing to follow... My mind is sort of always on, somehow these steps kind of relax me in a certain way. I've just finshed sanding some scribing slipups and will re-scribe that later on.

Oh, and Jari's film was the final push into not doing the camouflaged version. They really do look dark, and I don't have the room for a whole line up of A-6s unfortunately to do much more multiples!

Happy Christmas!

jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S

3 minutes ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Not much to show otherwise, more sanding/filling/scribing to follow... My mind is kind of always on, somehow these step kind of relax me in a certain way. I'm just finshed sanding some scribing slipups and will re-scribe that later on.

Sounds like me.....

great show Jeroen. Loving this