Trumpeter A-6A "VA-65"

jeroen_R90S

23 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

EXCEPTIONAL  work on the Instruments  panels.

SUPER work there!

*hope your eyes are reset* :wicked:

:clap2:  :bow:

Thanks, Maru! I'm now leaving this alone for a while and hopefully when my eyes are un-crossed I can make the leg restraints and attach the belts on the seats :)

13 hours ago, Winnie said:

Lovely! awesome pictures from the old "A" sim!

Can I ask where do the buckles come from? I love them, and could think of doing the same myself!

Cheers

Harald

Thanks, Harald! Yes, those pictures were a great help with adding some stuff to my seats. 

The buckles came from a "Verlinden" set (#2103, US modern seatbelts), that also comes with PE-seatbelts which I cannot imagine having to thread through those buckles, so I replaced them with doubled-up Tamiya tape, which was fiddly enough! 

I'm not sure if it's allowed to post Ebay-links here, but I got them from Ebay. (article: 142152819566)

They don't match the Intruder specifically, I just mixed and matched what looked right to my eye :)

Jeroen

On 1/18/2021 at 6:22 AM, Winnie said:

Ordered!! I have lead foil i think will work! Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome, that's what forums like these are for IMHO :)

In think that should work a little bit better than the tape I used, it does work with tape, but is still kind of stiff. One trick that is quite logical when you think of it (but I didn't realize beforehand) is that when I used thinned acrylic paint on tape it actually softens the tape to make it more easy to work with.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:07 PM, MARU5137 said:

Jeroen,

Thanks  for the update.

:thumbsup:

Thanks again for having a look, Maru! :)

===========================

I have a question for people more knowledgable in Intruders, though. I'm working on the consoles some more, but need to paint the 2 parts that mount on the rear wall, one in between the seats, the other next to the B/N Seat.

I've painted the small right panel all black, but have no idea what to paint the raised details. Most of the stuff in the Intruder's cockpit seems to be grey and black, but that panel looks like circuit breakers or something. What colour should I paint that, and should there be labels next to them?

The same goes for the middle part, though that looks more like a "normal" console. Black or gray switches with white labels, or something else?

Otherwise I'll just make up something :) This area seems poorly/not covered in photo's that I could find...

a proper update soon, as I've finally installed the seatbelts and a host of other small stuff!

Jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S
silly spelling errors...

The circuit breakers are semi-gloss black and if popped have a white band, but you wouldn't see that unless watching side on. some get grimy and some have a collar to make them easier to pull out. Panel should be black as well, I'm sure you can use washes etc to make them pop!

From the A-6A cockpit procedures trainer/simulator on display at the Oakland Aviation Museum. It’s “only” a sim, and an older generation machine at that, but from what I can observe, most all its features, from the Matin Baker GRU-5 seats right down to the crew thermos holders (simulator sessions make you thirsty too), are faithfully replicated. In fact, they are likely the actual (same) components used on the real Intruder.

tWbcrAP.jpg

jQqbOfZ.jpg

TPK4ZSk.jpg

And this one is from a KA-6D (actual aircraft this time) on display at the same museum...

2ifzvcS.jpg

Edited by allthumbs

On 1/21/2021 at 1:24 PM, jeroen_R90S said:

You're welcome, that's what forums like these are for IMHO :)

In think that should work a little bit better than the tape I used, it does work with tape, but is still kind of stiff. One trick that is quite logical when you think of it (but I didn't realize beforehand) is that when I used thinned acrylic paint on tape it actually softens the tape to make it more easy to work with.

Thanks again for having a look, Maru! :)

===========================

I have a question for people more knowledgable in Intruders, though. I'm working on the consoles some more, but need to paint the 2 parts that mount on the rear wall, one in between the seats, the other next to the B/N Seat.

I've painted the small right panel all black, but have no idea what to paint the raised details. Most of the stuff in the Intruder's cockpit seems to be grey and black, but that panel looks like circuit breakers or something. What colour should I paint that, and should there be labels next to them?

The same goes for the middle part, though that looks more like a "normal" console. Black or gray switches with white labels, or something else?

Otherwise I'll just make up something :) This area seems poorly/not covered in photo's that I could find...

a proper update soon, as I've finally installed the seatbelts and a host of other small stuff!

Jeroen

Jeroen,

You are correct in your color call outs for the interior consoles. See attached pictures.

A bit of Intruder cockpit trivia...It’s often stated that the bombardier/navigator’s floorboard sits lower than that of the pilot. This is not exactly the case. Yes, the pilot’s foot troughs are elevated by a few inches (see last photo in this post), but the main floorboard height is constant across the whole cockpit. The ejection seats, which mount to the aft cockpit bulkhead, are positioned differently, the B/N's being placed lower and further aft, and the RH side console does not rise as high above the cockpit floor as the  LH and center consoles, all of which give the illusion of a sunken floorboard on the RH side. 

In summary, it's a very complex, 3 dimensional "office" - a super-detailer's dream. Or perhaps nightmare!

Keep up the great work...looking forward to the next installment!

Rich

fpgw9Q4.jpg

KGnm4mq.jpg

3LKbsEu.jpg

Gd5tDxL.jpg

O9XHEPP.jpg

9qEm96s.jpg

Edited by allthumbs
text edited for grammar and clarity

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, thanks!

I've seen the replies but have been spending my scarce modelling time on the actual model, sorry for not reply-ing sooner... 

There is so much stuff that can be corrected and added... sooo tempting....

I have painted some more details (with the help of the info from Rich, Harald and Jari, thanks again) and glossed the seats and cockpit parts.

Then I tried, what I find one of the most difficult things, a wash on dark/black parts. Get it too light and it looks overdone, too dark and it doesn't show.

For this I first used Revell Enamel "Panzergrau", as that seemed to match the collars that can be seen on some switches and fuses the best while accentuating the rest just subtle enough. I just could not get it to work properly, I normally use oil paints but then I have to mix my own, and the Panzergrau was perfect, colourwise. It just did not flow properly and made bigger spots than I was looking for.

Eventually I'm not quite happy with that, but managed to fix most of it (it still looks a bit overdone on the pictures, because it is flat versus the gloss cockpit parts). After that did the rest with oils, and also did an oil dot filter:

f035b9c40f0a0a33bfb4f82eecc90e47.jpg

And, afterwards, after the rest was given washes and some more filters:

81bd4c85336c9d379dc920c1540cfb25.jpg

The IP is still loose here, the wierd angle of the photo is due to the wash running off otherwise...

My punch set would not let me punch out the intruments (it is a sideways U shape and the decals won't fit precisely enough) so cut them out manually and applied them on the front of the clear part, instead of at the back as Trumpeter suggests. Theý are really deep if you do that. (I'll add some gloss to the instruments last)

Interestingly the 4 instruments between the rudder pedals are clear parts in the kit, but have no decals?

I also build 1/72 models and carefully cut several generic instruments from an old Matchbox Fairey Seafox IP decal.

Rich' pictures also remind me I still need to make the throttle. The seats are also nearly done, but the wash is still drying do I don't dare touch them at the moment. The dark cold weather isn't very well suited for photography -hopefully I can make some better daylight shots later.

Jeroen

On 12/29/2020 at 9:20 PM, allthumbs said:

And once they’re dressed up with belts, harnesses and AOA placard decals, they’ll really look the part.

Rich

Thanks Rich, your quote above suddenly popped up in my mind after taking some pictures of the seats today. OK, it's far from AMS or Aires, but I'm pretty happy with how these turned out eventually:

2a4a5feed1eb5286bbdc35cccabf79fa.jpg

They're stll in gloss, awaiting the installation of the pull rings on top and forward of the cushions. I spent this afternoon getting those parts I formed some time ago painted up, and after painting them black, then dirty yellow, and trying the stripes with strip decals I gave up on that.

I used 0,5mm masking tape, and had to make several attempts, but they're good enough, the D-shaped ones will to between the pilot's legs so will be barely visble.

I did have to remove the air(?) hose because after installing the center fuse panel I could not get the seat in anymore. I'll attach that after the seat is installed.

Based on Rich'photo's, I noticed that hose and its connecting gizmo is actually on the opposite side from where I installed it. (based on a photo from a manual or something).I'll keep them as is now.

Thanks for tagging along and putting up with my small steps :)

jeroen

On 2/7/2021 at 9:10 PM, easixpedro said:

Those look absolutely brilliant! You nailed the difference between the -5 and -7 from later on. I’d have to dig through my early EA-6B manual, but I recall them having pics if you still need ‘em.

-Peter

Thanks, and thanks for the offer as well, but I'm calling them pretty much done. There are 500 other parts in the box that need some attention, too :)

On 2/7/2021 at 10:29 PM, Marcel111 said:

Seats look the part, nicely done!

Thank you Marcel! :)

And thanks to all who followed along :)

========================

Unfortunately I've lost part U6 -is there anyone who also has (built or unbuilt) this kit that would like to take some photo's of it so I can scratchbuild a replacement? When I close the canopy "the lines don't connect" (see photos below)

My ethernal thanks in advance!

Jeroen

0d12b24de4790fbc598ffbad12f012af.jpg

78f704915e5662a4a0ad0916573f91f6.jpg