1/32 Revell P-51D

ironman1945

Finished this one about 5 months ago. Revell's new P-51D early.

Great kit, I think it strikes a good balance with fit, finish and detail. Silver is Rub n Buff. 

Photos taken with my crappy cell phone, really need to work on photography skills.

Cheers!

Dave/Ironman1945

IMG_20201109_162025

IMG_20201109_162206

IMG_20201109_162147 - Copy

IMG_20201109_162218

13 hours ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

Great Job Dave! The canopy looks like there is no distortion - is that stock from the kit?

8 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Looks great, nice NMF job, not too shiny.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

Nice Pony. :goodjob:

Thanks guys.

For Rockie, yes that is the kit canopy stock from the kit. 

For Dennis, I used Rub n Buff for the finish. Its a silver wax polish applied over a gloss black base.  I've tried another of other ways to get a natural metal finish but really like how this turns out. Did it to a 1/32 P-38 some years ago as well.  Gives what I think is a pretty scale like appearance.

P-51D Early

i like it a lot!!

so... Rub n Buff:

can you handle the model after application?

is there a satin or any other top coat?

how to decals go over it?

can you mask over it?

what additional weathering is there? it looks far more complex than something applied over a gloss black base.

thanks for sharing

Nick

58 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

i like it a lot!!

so... Rub n Buff:

can you handle the model after application?

is there a satin or any other top coat?

how to decals go over it?

can you mask over it?

what additional weathering is there? it looks far more complex than something applied over a gloss black base.

thanks for sharing

Nick

Hi Nick

Answers to questions:

After application I handle as little as possible before giving it a clear coat. I've clear coated in the past on a P-38 with Future (see link below around page 5), in this instance I sprayed with Tamiya semi - gloss coat. Either way, it doesn't affect the finish at all.   Then decals are applied, and another clear coat. Important if you have clear coated with Future before decaling ensure you wait at least 5 days (a week if you can... longer the better), decal solvents (Solvaset, Mircoset) can cause future to frost if it isn't totally set.  You can mask over it as long as a clear coat has been applied first, but ensure the tape is very low tack. I use Tamiya Tape, after taking it and applying it on and off my arm a few times.  The only additional weathering is a diluted black pin wash with watercolors, after which I sprayed another Tamiya semi - gloss coat.  The look you see is exactly how it turns out when applied over a gloss black base. It has a natural patina to it that to me looks very realistic.

Finally, something I picked up from... I believe it was Chris... on this site, if using Rub n Buff its best to "paint" on with a wide flat brush.  When the Rub n Buff builds up on the brush (leaving streaks), I've found it can be washed/cleaned with hot water and soap. Then let dry and continue. 

Hope that helps! 

Dave/Ironman1945

See page 5 of link below for application of Rub n Buff